Community post

Discussion

Any mom of an autistic child having issues TTC #2?

Hi, I have a 3 year old beautiful autistic boy, and have been TTC#2 for 2 years. My husband and I have currently been diagnosed with unexplained infertility. It has been a long road coping with my son's diagnose, so I was wondering if the cause of our infertility could be stress related, and wondering if anyone is going through the same so I can talk to. If you were in the same situation and will lake to share your story with me I will love to read it. I am currently on my 1st clomid + IUI cycle 6 DPIUI. Thanks!!

4 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

Hi there, Just wanted to introduce myself, Im Georgie, and I also have a little boy with Autism. (he is 8.5 years old) We too have been ttc#2 for some time now (almost 8 years actually), but we only got a diagnosis for our son in 2013, when he was just 7 years old. We have secondary infertility/unexplained (reasons for this is because they first said we only had a 1% chance of conceiving naturally, but have fallen pregnant twice since 2011, naturally) Stress has been a big factor in our infertility, (so i believe), as we had been struggling with DS's issues without any help from doctors and was told it was bad parenting causing our sons, issues... (we call his problems issues, as they were undiagnosed at the time..) Anyways, Getting back to TTC... we decided to take time out for ourselves, and enjoy our time together, and thats when we fell pregnant in 2011... (but it was ectopic) then in June 2013, (just after our sons diagnosis) we had a miscarriage.. I put that down to stress. So We took 12 months off, and I had the mirena in, which i got removed in september of this year.. In that time we had fallen pregnant we changed our diets, stopped drinking coffee, beer, wine, and eating junk food, and replaced it all with healthy food, and plenty of water.. I was taking a pregnancy vitamin, and my hubby was taking mens vitamins to help his fertility. We have been through IVF/ICSI 7 times, and nothing came of that. we are trying again naturally, now, as I didn't cope with the IVF drugs, and the drs have a good feeling that things could possibly work out, if I dont stress too much... Being my first TTC month since the removal of the mirena, we got a BFN, but my LP is very short (10 or 11 days) and my GP is going to help me with that... I just want to add also, I found talking to ladies who were going through something similar helped me greatly, so if you would like to chat some more, If be more than happy to chat some more. (Sorry I am not full of any information, but just wanted to share with you, a similar story to what your going through) .

PS: How'd did your first IUI go? , i have just noticed you posted this a week ago... Opps! LOL
Georgie :)
x

9 years ago

Hi Georgie, thanks for replying to my post. My IUI unfortunately was unsuccessful this month (my blood test came back negative, still waiting for AF to show). But everything was weird since the start of this cycle. I spotted the first 2 day (which I normally only spot for 1). Then on CD10 I went for blood work and U/S and they told me I had a small cyst about 3cm (which wasn't a concern) but still no follicles, and said sometimes clomid can delay the process a bit. Anyways, I went home a little bit upset since the goal was to get 2 follicles, and 2 hours later they called me saying blood results were back and estrogen levels were very high so what they thought it was a cyst it was a big follicle. So they had me go back to get the trigger shot that same day and they did IUI day after. I think I ovulated the day after the IUI between 8-10 am cause I had ovulation pain on my right side (where the follicle was). And I BBT chart so the next day my temp did go up. All this week starting on Monday night I have had the worse PMS ever (don't know if clomid will do that). So I am hoping AF will arrive soon so that the pain is gone. I think one of the reasons IUI didn't work is cause the follicle was way to big since I have read normally 28mm is about the maximum size. And the fertility clinic wants me to go in 2 days earlier for my U/S this cycle.
With my son I got pregnant the first time we tried. And looking back I was on a diet and doing lots of exercise. I don't want to say I am overweight now, but I was 16 lb less than now. It was a planned pregnancy so I wanted to be at the low end of my ideal weight in case I had a hard time lossing weight after. Now I am at the high en of my ideal weight. It might sound stupid, but I often wonder if that can be a part of the problem. And I have tried diet and exercises but the frustration of not losing it as quick plus the fact that I eat more when I am stressed hasn't help much. About my son's diagnose it has been really stressful, even though I have a lot of medical support in Canada. My family lives in Mexico (where I am from) and my in-laws are deceased. So I have been doing all the caring on my own. But I can relate the feelings of people judging your parenting because on their outside shell the look perfectly normal. I think that's where I struggle and stress the most. When we are home we live in our perfect world, but as soon as we go out and you see his behavior compared to other kids, that's what kills me. Not because I will like him to be like them, because I absolutly love the uniqueness of my son and how special he is, but because unfortunatly we live in a world full of judgement and misunderstanding.
I am currently in 2 different forums and the girls have been very nice and helpful: October 2014 IUI/IVF and another on called TTC through IUI and im 27yrs old (I am 29, but most of them have unexplained infetility).
This cycle will be my last Clomid+IUI and then I am taking a 3-4 months break since I am going down to Mexico to spend my last winter with my family (my son will be starting kindergarden next year so that's why I said my last winter).
Anyways hope this will give you a bit more info about me, by the way my name is Maria. Hope to hear from you soon ;)

9 years ago • Post starter

Hi Maria, Sorry its taken til now to reply, my ASD son, has been having a few troubles the past week, and has had all my attention. I'm sorry to hear your IUI didn't work. I remember my first IVF/ICSI cycle, i cried for days after getting the BFN result... I was sure it had worked... Im currently working on a new diet/exercise plan for DH and I. I'm on CD5, and it was a strange AF. had AF for only 3 days??? (usually I have it for at least 6-8 days) Ive just ordered a whole heap of OPKS and a new BBT thermometer, and preseed. Its so hard knowing we have secondary infertility/unexplained, yet we want to try naturally again... (we are from Australia, and the cost of IVF these days, is well over $10,000 Aus Dollars) and we cant afford that right now... :( We have wondered though, if they would let us do a IUI cycle to see if that works, but I am unsure of the costs of that, so I may look into that... I decided that this cycle, I wont be so fullon with symptom spotting also... and wont chart my symptoms, as my recent cycle, I was sure I was pregnant, but nope, was AF... gahh! LOL.. With this cycle too, we have so much happening for our boy, that I am hoping i wont notice to much and just magically fall pregnant (wishful thinking, hehe)

Are you getting ready for another IUI? is that right? I wish you all the luck in the world.. (i know how stressful everything can be, especially with a special needs child) And talking of weight, I gained so much in the last few years, Not over weight, but a lot bigger than i used to be... I have a few kilos to go before I will be back to my comfort zone... I'm thinking if I dont fall pregnant by the end of this year, I will take a few months off, to work on my weight. we are trying SMEP this cycle also... DH, being the funny man he is, cant under stand why we cant BD every night for the next 2 weeks! hahaha. But I told him, Id like to do it this way, and see what happens. LOL...

I think i am just rambling on now... Not used to being able to speak to others about this sort stuff! haha.

Talk Soon,
Georgie
xx

9 years ago

Hi georgie, glad to hear from you. You should deffinitly check the IUI costs, here in Canada it is 10 times cheaper than IVF. We pay 350 per IUI and last month a 100 more because I needed trigger shot. I am currently CD5, so our cycles are pretty close together this month. I have an appointment on Saturday morning to do ultrasound and blood test. I am crossing my fingers to see more than 1 follicle this time.
I cried the first day, but now I am very positive. I am doing a few food changes to try to increase chances. Eating lots of fruits and vegetables, and made some homemade snacks: fresh cranberries covered in dark chocolate and granola bars with oats, honey, and pumkin seeds. At least if this cycle doesn't work I will be on track to have a rocking body for the Christmas holidays :).
I had been having a bunch of appointments with my son so that is keeping me busy, plus he is starting to toilet train, so no time to get bored.
I heard pretty good things about preseed. I think if I don't get pregnant I will buy one to take with us to Mexico. Hopefully being back home relaxes me and helps me get pregnant.
I think I won't obssess with symptoms this cycle neither. Like you I thought I was for sure pregnant til the blood test came back negative. And as far as I remember with my son's pregnancy my early symptoms were that there were not symptoms.... I didn't begin having symptoms til after I had the positive test probably about a week after. So I will just relax and let my body do the work.
Hope to hear from you soon! Maria

9 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo