Community post

Discussion

Misdiagnosed Blighted Ovum?

I had a d&c july 16th, 2014 and got pregnant my first cycle after D&C. They had me come in for bloodwork from the second I found out to make sure it was a new pregnancy. My levels were rising but one week though, from week 4-5 they just over doubled in a weeks time. So they monitored me for the remaining week of week 5 and blood doubled perfectly all of a sudden. They reassured me sometimes levels can just stall for no reason and will pick up normally again. Progesterone was low so they put me on Prometrium 200mg a day. Hcg betas were always within normal range but just on the lower end of the normal range. At around 5 weeks I started light spotting but was told it could be from Prometrium. They weren't concerned. They brought me in for an ultrasound when I was 6wks according to LMP but I know when I ovulated and I say I was 5weeks 3 days. They saw gest sac and she said she was 95% sure there was a faint yolk sac. She even showed me and I saw it and was happy it wasn't an ectopic or blighted ovum. She also mentioned another smaller sac that was visible but could be a vanishing twin or a subchorionic hematoma. They wanted to bring me back in a week to check for baby and heartbeat. Fast forward a week I go in for Transvaginal US and within 10 secs the tech goes "yeah I don't see anything at all" but did mention I still had the sac of blood in there. Total US time was literally under 1 -2 mins. I feel like she didn't even check really. I have still been spotting now going on 2 weeks now. So as of now I am to them 7weeks but according to when I know I ovulated (confirmed by temps, opks and Clearblue advance fertility monitor) I would be 4 days behind that, so just over 6 weeks. They immediately told me to schedule a D&C and the pregnancy is not viable. I resisted and asked to speak to the dr (I had only seen the midwife and US tech that day). I have another apt scheduled for 3 days after that US (tomorrow) and dr is going to talk with me and also check my hcg one last time. I am beyond confused at how quick and soon they can diagnose a blighted ovum, not to add to the fact they saw a yolk sac the first US and now nothing. I have been told by multiple US techs I have a tilted Uterus and have heard that affects it. This is my 4th pregnancy - first preg I miscarried at 5weeks 4 days (don't know why - was told most 1st pregnancies miscarry), then got pregnant 2 weeks later with my now healthy 13 month old son (100% complication free pregnancy) and then 7 months later after having my son got pregnant with a baby who had triploidy - was a MMC and found out at 12 weeks when I started spotting, had d&c at 13 weeks and then a month later on my first cycle after d&c got pregnant with this baby. I am only 24. Very confused, please help.

1 Reply • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

Get your hcg beta checked again. Talk to your doctor and tell him you are not happy the technician diagnosed blighted ovum so quickly, since you had two egg sacks and he mentioned only one. Ask for another scan. I'm very sorry you have had all these problems it is a lot to cope with and technicians can be very insensitive.

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo