Community post

Discussion

Heavy periods question? Guidance appreciated!

Hi ladies I'm gate crashing here in a way because I'm 4 months away from 40 but I'm hoping you'll forgive me as I fear my reproductive system is advancing in age faster than the rest of me!

I have been experiencing very heavy periods which have sent me to the ER twice this year and am hoping I could share my story. I am on a waiting list for an appointment with a gynaecologist but in the meantime am hoping to conceive just one more baby. I actually do have a bleeding disorder which I think is contributing to the problems I'm having now.

I've always had heavy periods lasting 7days tapering off for a further 2-3 days and have been that way since I was young. I always thought that was normal. I had my first child at 31, two miscarriages followed immediately by a healthy pregnancy and my second child at 35 and I had my third child at 37. I thought my family was complete although I wished I'd started younger as I would have loved more.

My periods returned a year ago after my last child and are horribly long and heavy. I had an implanon rod inserted which stopped my periods altogether but we decided to get it out to try for a baby. I've had one cycle since having it out and my period was horrible! I went to the ER on day 3 as I was flooding bright red from the start, filling a pad every hour. I was put on high doses of tranexamic acid and the bleeding slowed down to light brown spotting by day 7.

My problem is that as we are trying this cycle (tmi warning) and have bd'd daily since day cd10, 3 days ago, I have been 'leaking' brown fluid and tiny black clots like there is left over old blood. Where is this coming from? Is it, yuk, clotted blood caught around my cervix or is it in my uterus? Can I still conceive potentially or will this 'material' interfere with the sperm or if it's in my uterus can it prevent implantation if I'm lucky enough to conceive?

Even with my heavy periods it has always been over by the time I ovulate on cd14. I've not had this old blood washing out thing happen right up till ovulation day before. I should ovulate today and feel time is running out so every cycle counts. Btw I usually have ewcm today cd14 but have none at all this time.

My identical twin sister is in early menopause due to premature ovarian failure, we both have under active thyroid which is well controlled and Vonwillibrands type bleeding disorder. I feel I'm not hormonally as advanced as she is as far as menopause but I fear it's not long before I join her.

Has anyone else experienced such heavy prolonged periods that you're still discharging old blood remnants by mid cycle/ovulation? If so could you tell me if this is likely to interfere in conception? I can't afford assisted reproduction.

Any suggestions would be graciously accepted. Thank you for listening to my woes.

2 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

I have no answers, but I will be praying that there is a legitimate answer with a resolution. I pray that you are able to conceive again as well. God bless you. #babydust

9 years ago

Wow kandi12 thank you! I'm really touched by your kind response. My best wishes for you too!

9 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo