Community post

Discussion

Improving Chances

I've been doing a lot of research into ways to improve chances each cycle. Obviously some of it is pretty well knownlike utilizing OPKs along with other fertility signs (such as cervical fluid) to help time intercourse correctly. Studies show the best days to have intercourse for conception are the 2 days prior to ovulation and the day of ovulation. Of course it is generally well-known that once ovulated the egg only lives for approximately 12-24 hours. And pretty much everything else related to tracking, charting, and intercourse timing are fairly well-known within TTC communities. So I'm not going to go over all that again. I'm going to talk about what I hadn't really heard until just recently after I've been TTC now for 16 months: improving chances by improving egg and sperm quality.

According to my research failed cycles are often not the result of sperm failing to meet the egg but rather a failure of that egg to implant and grow successfully. This is due, in large part, to poor egg and/or sperm quality. And, as I was surprised to find out, there are some fairly simple ways to improve sperm and egg quality that are very well supported by research. Such methods include limiting exposure to toxins, specifically BPA and pthalates, taking antioxidants (vitamin C, vitamin E, R-alpha lipoic acid, and CoQ10) and eating a healthy, well-balanced diet. The diets best for fertility, according to research, are the Mediterranean Diet and the Inflammation diet.

It is worth noting with antioxidants that melatonin has shown to be possibly the most promising antioxidant for improving egg quality. However, melatonin in higher levels can delay or inhibit ovulation. It is only recommended to take melatonin to improve egg quality if you're using ART rather than trying to TTC naturally.

It is also worth nothing that some popular supplements for egg quality have little or no scientific backing. This includes things such as Royal Jelly, L-arginine and Pycnogenol.

Based off everything I've learned spending countless hours reading through fertility studies on Google Scholar, if you're having trouble TTC it is really worth it to look into methods of improving sperm and egg quality. I really wish I'd known about this sooner. So I'm posting this in the hopes that it helps someone else. And hopefully saves some other lady from spending 16 months TTC when some simple chances may could have meant less cycles trying.

A great book I found on the topic is called "It started with the egg" by Rebecca Fett. But if you don't want to buy a book (which is understandable) you can do the research yourself for free. I should mention that I get absolutely nothing out of any sales of this book. I simply found it to be really interesting and informative.

TTC #1: January 2015- October 2015 BFP #1: October 16, 2015. MC: November 6, 2015 BFP #2: March 15, 2016. MC: March 21, 2016 TTC Rainbow: November 2015- Present

0 Replies • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo