Community post

Discussion

Irregular Periods after stopping BCP

Hello everyone! It's my first time on here, so forgive me if I'm a little slow in learning how to use the forums/terminology. :)

I went off BCP in August last year, in preparation to start 'trying' this year. From what I have read over the few months, it's 'normal' for your body to take time regulating, and my cycles have been long but relatively 'regular' until this one! I'm currently on CD50 *big sigh*, and had 3 BFN's over the past 2 weeks. My previous cycles were: 43, 34 and 37.

I've seen my doctor, who has told me to go and get my bloods done on Day 2 of my next cycle, then every week for a month. But, of course, nothing can be done until AF actually shows up!!

So, my question is... what were your cycle days for the first 12 months after going off BCP? Just wanting to see how many people found that things evened out over time! :)

6 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

For anyone who comes across my post (I spent hours reading forums over the past month, looking for hope!)... AF finally showed up on day 54! Totally normal and healthy, complete with cramps and crankiness! Haha. I went off BC 6 months ago, so I think it's going to take time for things to regulate again. Here's hoping I'm not up for another super long cycle in April...!

8 years ago • Post starter

Hi Aimee,

I've been off BCP since October and no sign of any AF at all ????

Going to get my bloods done next week to see what the deal is. Dr said to me it can take a year once coming off to regulate!

8 years ago

Hi Vickietoria190! Argh, it's frustrating, huh? I'm not going to say, "Try not to stress", because I know it's THE WORST thing that people can say. It's scary AND stressful.

To encourage you, my little sister hasn't had her period in a year, after she went off birth control. She just had hormone/blood tests done, and saw a gyno. Everything came back clear. Her doctor has told her to gain a little weight, wait a few months, and then they may put her on some medication to help with ovulation. So, all is not lost if things seem to be taking their sweet time!

From the crazy-lady forum-stalking and journal-reading I have done over the past few months (I'm not as graceful with 'letting nature take its course' as I could be!), here is what I've learnt:

* there is no 'normal' to gauge things by
* some of us take longer than others to 'click back into gear'
* in nearly every single case I have read, even if medication has been necessary, it has been SUCCESSFUL

I'll keep posting on here as my cycles do their thang. I think support really helps! :)

I haven't been off BC for a whole year yet, I went off right at the beginning of January, but I understand how frustrating the irregular cycles can be. First month was 28 days, then the next month I thought I was late with 35 days, and this month I'm at 31 days and still no sign of AF with negative tests.

8 years ago

Thanks for your reply Aimee! It is frustrating, but reassuring I'm not the only one!

Fingers crossed for both of us ????

8 years ago

Hi Vickitoria190,

After 2 months of being pre-occupied and stressing, I've decided to hold the whole thing a lot more lightly. Being constantly stressed and fretting over small things is not nice for me, or my husband! I feel at peace knowing it will happen when it's meant to, and will try to be patient until then. The way I see it, women have been having babies for hundreds of years without any of the information we have these days, and they managed just fine. :) Exhaling and crossing my fingers with you...! Keep me posted on how you go, if you'd like!

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo