Community post

Discussion

Getting off birth control

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about getting off the birth control pill. DH and I are not really TTC yet, probably not for another couple of years, but I have always been afraid of having problems TTC to I wanted to get off birth control pills early to get my cycle adjusted well in advance. But I'm having major Post Birth Control Syndrome. I'm 26 and was on the pill for 10 years.

I took my last pill 11/9/2015, had a consequent AF.
AF again 12/25/15
Spotting 1/20/16
Spotting 1/30/16-2/1/16
Spotting yesterday and today (3/17 & 3/18)

But otherwise NO AF since Christmas! I'm definitely not pregnant, tested many times and at doc's office too.

I know this might be perfectly normal, but I am still so worried, because AF came once and then just went away. Anyone have any experience/stories of how long it took you guys to get your cycle back?

I'm also sick of the acne... how long does that last?

Thanks guys, I'm a newbie here and would love to hear from you!

4 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

I think it's different for everyone. I was on the pill for 15 years! I finished the pack I was on so my first period came at normal time and I've been fairly regular (26-29 day cycles). I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and charted temping right away off the pill. I immediately went back to ovulating but my periods are much heavier off the pill. I have been off the pill since October 2014 and get more zits around ovulation then I had my entire teenage years! (Maybe that an exaggeration but they come religiously every month). Did you stop the pill mid-pack?

8 years ago

Hi MrsFord, thanks for your answer.

No I didn't stop mid-pack, I finished it like I should. Does that change anything?

8 years ago • Post starter

I don't really have any answers to your questions but can empathize. I went off the pill the beginning of January and I didn't have spotting like you, but my cycles have ranged from 28 to 43 days. Its been almost 6 months so in hoping they will start to even out soon :-/

And the return of acne is the worst! Although I had kind of bad acne before going on BC, the pill helped it a lot and since going off it has flared up again with a vengeance :( I'm hoping a good skin care regimen and clean diet will help.

So like I said, no answers, but I wish you the best of luck!

7 years ago

Im in the same steps.

I stopped the pill in jan/feb.
I had one quite normal period after that but since then I had two cycles. one that was 35 days and another one 40. now the third cycle is getting close to 40 as well and no signs of periods. Making me so confused.

Im gonna try and relax about it because I did take a break from the pill 5 years back but then I wasnt keeping an eye on my cycle since I wasnt trying and I couldnt care less, but still remember thinking back then that It was more common for me to have up to 6 weeks cycle then the average 4 like most girls would have. By the end of that year my cycles started to even out to four weeks starting more or less the same date every month. Eventually I got pregnant a year after stopping that pill although it was very much accidentally.

So I am hoping that my hormones just need some time to balance out. I just bought wild yam tablets and maca and might start drinking red raspberry leaf tea in hope to get my hormones to balance quicker.

Good luck to you guys

7 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo