Community post

Discussion

"Evap" line at 3 minutes?? Dried into a thin, dark line??

Ok... So if you've read any of my previous posts, you already know that I'm over 3 weeks late now. (My next period is due next week) I've tested and gotten various, confusing results (in my gallery) I've told myself that if I still haven't started by Monday, I'll go to the health dept. and request a blood test. And yes, most symptoms are in full effect right now, but so many mimic that of PMS, so I can't say for sure..

Now, on to yesterday.. For some reason, I had the urge to take a test later in the day. (I didn't even realize I had one here at home! Lol) So around 5:30pm, I took a $ store test (purple & white). As the urine ran across the test, I immediately saw a line, albeit faint. However, I waited a couple of minutes to look again so I wouldn't get too caught up with "line eye". At around the 3-4 minute mark, I saw a line. It looked more like a shadow to me, but it was definitely there! I took pics and uploaded 2 from that time frame onto my page here, but I don't think most people could see what I was seeing. I even used various filters to make sure I hadn't just imagined it. No, it was most definitely there, but so faint that I was left pretty confused. I kept thinking, could an evap line show up this fast?? I know, by definition, that's a fairly stupid question. In order to be considered an evap, the line has to be dry.. So correct me if I'm wrong, but in under 5 minutes, especially considering I saw the line immediately, it's not possible to have an evap that early, right?? I should add that the time limit on this test is 10 minutes. But here's where it got even stranger...

I know you're not supposed to read after the time limit, so the only reason I'm even asking about this is because I saw a line WITHIN the limit. Well under, actually. So 3 hours later (no idea when it actually happened), I looked at the test again, and saw something darker. What was strange about it, though, was that it was now a THIN, dark line. (If you invert, you can tell there is color on both sides of the Test line, but for some reason, the right side had absorbed much more, making the line appear so thin and dark)

So I guess my question is this... Have any of you gotten an "evap" around the 3 minute mark and it was truly negative?? AND/OR gotten a THIN, COLORED evap line and it was truly positive?? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, I just honestly have no idea about this stuff. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this! Have a great week!!! :-)

10 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

How, I must say what's happening sounds very strange, I've just had a quick peep at your test that you uploaded, I can't see anything at all, not even an evap(could be the photo) maybe it would be best to go and get a blood test to find out for sure, in regards to your symptoms, pregnancy symptoms are caused by the hcg level rise, so if you are having pregnancy symptoms then a test would be positive but you did say many of them mimic pms, when was the last intercourse?

8 years ago

Hi! Thanks for your reply. Did you mean when was my last cycle? My LMP was Jan. 24th. Last intercourse... Saturday. I'm going to try and upload a better picture. I had to resize it, and it came out looking rather distorted from how it looks on my phone and IRL. I have all of your "typical" symptoms, but the ones that I've noticed more recently are fuller breasts (left one feels slightly bigger, like a water balloon almost) sore hips, lower rib pain (almost as if they're moving outwards??)... My whole abdominal area feels rather peculiar, like stretching/pulling. Sometimes, I have to stop and reach upwards, or bend to my side, to "work out" whatever it is that's catching. It's mainly under my lower right ribs. I know I sound crazy, but they seem inflamed?? They just kind of feel more pronounced, hard to describe. There's also like a pulling both above and behind (?) my belly button. It doesn't necessarily hurt. It's just an uncomfortable feeling. I'm still urinating quite often, exhausted, and not sleeping well regardless of said exhaustion. By PMS-like, I just meant that my lower back and pelvis are cramping. Again, I'm very new to this world. So forgive me if I sound silly. Thanks for your reply!!!

8 years ago • Post starter

So your tests from two weeks ago look like there is a line there but then it seems to disappear a week later. Possible you may have had a chemical pregnancy and now your body is just waiting to start its period again. I am not expert though so I could be wrong. The blue dye tests don't look positive and the one from yesterday doesn't look to have a bold line on it like the 2 from 2 weeks ago. Our bodies can play evil tricks on us as well by giving us symptoms when we think we are pregnant but we are not. I've read about it where people want it so bad that their bodies will do every pregnancy symptom but truly are not pregnant. Only way to know for sure is to be seen by a dr or clinic. Good luck.

8 years ago

Thank you for your reply. I've thought about a CP, as well as phantom symptoms, too. I know how crazy real things can seem when we want to see them, so maybe I shouldn't trust my judgement right now lol I'll definitely be getting to a doctor if I don't start soon. Thanks, again! :-)

Hi,
If you were pregnant the test from two weeks ago would have darkened into a dark line by now. Are you taking any supplements that could extend your cycle such as progesterone cream? I know you desperately want to hear that yes I think you are pregnant but it would be cruel to get your hopes up. It may have been a cp and it sucks
Next cycle take your bbt and use an opk, that way you will know for def if you ovulated and when. A chart can also give a clearer picture if you find yourself in this position again (hopefully with a better outcome)
Hope you get you (bright) soon.

8 years ago

Thanks so much. I totally agree and thought I was done, but I tested with a FRER last night and immediately saw a line. It got darker and looked pink to me. Now this morning, it's definitely pink. So I'm back to square one. I'm just going to have to go to the doctor. Either way, something isn't right. Almost two months with no period. My sister didn't test positive until she was 11 weeks along, and even then, she had a friend see the line before she even saw it. So I just have to get a definite answer. Thanks again for your response!!! ;-)

Good luck at the doctors, hope you get good news xx

8 years ago

Thanks so much!!! You guys are so sweet! :-)

I'm interested in hearing how this works out for you!! I am (kind of) in the same boat. I tested last night on a whim on an FRER and I got a line immediately!! Hubby even saw it! I took a pic and sent it to a friend and she also saw it (in my gallery now), I immediately took a digi: "Not Pregnant". This morning I took my last remaining HPT (digi again), and again "Not pregnant". I'm not totally sure when my period is due as I've become frustrated with TTC over the past year and 3 months and stopped tracking, but I'm positive I should be starting between tuesday and today. Tons of cramping, bloating, gas, and extremely sore boobs. Don't know what to think! Have you gotten any answers yet? Good luck!

8 years ago

Hey Abbie! Thanks for your reply. I've done some reading and from what I've come across, getting a negative directly after getting a positive is actually rather common. Apparently, you should wait 48 hours to give your levels of hCG time to double. If you don't wait, then you could possibly get a false negative (which are way more common than false positives, which are very rare). In my case, I took a FRER with evening urine and got a faint positive (pic in my gallery) The next morning, I got a negative with FMU. I was confused bc the night before was definitely positive, but I had a feeling I should have waited to test again, and not with FMU. Some women actually get better results with urine later on in the day, rather than their FMU. I have a UTI and drink Coke (I know, not good), so I believe that it's best for me to wait until at least my SMU because my urine is so dark first thing in the morning. I think the UTI and drinking the Coke makes my urine less concentrated with hCG, like it's drowned out by the infection and sugars. Therefore, I get better results later in the day when I've had the chance to get rid of that.

So, I think there's two reasons we could've gotten the false negative. One, we didn't give our levels enough time to double (it needs 48, I only waited maybe 16 hours). Two, some women get better results with something other than FMU, especially if you have any infection or dark urine that can overshadow the hCG. So my suggestion is for you to wait a good 48 hours since last testing and test again with something other than your FMU, since you got your positive with evening urine. Good luck and I'll KMFX for you!!! :-)

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo