Community post

Discussion

Ivf advice

Just after bit of advice from ladies with bit more ivf experience than me. Background history been heading up to this stage for a long time with alot of messing about from my hospital where I had all the tests clomid etc and finally 3 months after they agreed to finally refer me I've had an appointment but now feel that this clinic is no better than the hospital I was so glad to see the back of. The consultant was telling us one thing and the nurse has told us something completely different. This didn't happen once this appointment it happened on a few different things! It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hands doing. We chose this place coz the good reviews and practicality with being able to drive easily there.
Has anybody else had similar issues with their clinics and did it improve or is it just best to abandon this place now for a different clinic.

4 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

If you are getting a weird vibe now you might want to switch. Once you get into the ivf process you will need to be in constant communication with your clinic and it's important that their instructions are clear, it's easy to get ahold of them and everyone you talk to is aware of your plan. One goof or miscommunication regarding your medication schedule or dosing for example could mess up a whole cycle.

However, sometimes you will need to travel to the clinic a lot, like a lot a lot! It's not uncommon to have to go the clinic everyday for a week or so leading up to an egg retrieval. One time I had 7 appts in 9 days. So it is important to be fairly close by. You will just have to weigh the pros and cons and if you like another clinic better it just may be worth a longer drive.

I checked out 2 clinics when I started, both had great reviews and success rates (you can look that up on sart.org). They were about the same drive, one 45 mins away and the other about an hour away. The deciding factors for me were their patient load and overall feel. The clinic I chose only did around 300 ivf cycles a year whereas the other did about 3000 a year. I liked the smaller clinic because I wasn't just a number on a chart. All the doctors, nurses, techs and even receptionists knew me by my first name and recognized me when I walked in. You will be seeing these people a lot so having them know you and welcome you like family just creates a very positive, trusting atmosphere. Also, the bigger clinic was a bit more "hippy" and spiritual as far as their mission statement. They were very into the mind body connection and having patients make vision boards and such and I just wasn't into that. The smaller clinic I went to was associated with a teaching hospital and medical school and they were much more scientific with their approach which fit my personality and belief system better.

I went through 4 iui, 3 ivf retrievals and 6 ivf transfers before finally conceiving my daughter. If you have any other questions I would be happy to try to answer them!

8 years ago

Thanks for your reply. We decided to go back this week to see if it was just a bad day there or if this was the norm. Things seemed alot better this week and the plan is to start ivf on 20th April subject to this staying on track. I looked into other clinics again but we are restricted due to NHS funding and all the others involve train and tube journeys all couple hrs each way as there's no public parking nearby.

8 years ago • Post starter

You are very lucky to get funding through nhs! I contemplated moving or travelling to another country for ivf because the US sucks! We paid for it all out of pocket :( I wish you lots of luck and hope you conceive soon!

8 years ago

mnor0406- few friends of mine have moved to Gdansk, where they paid 1/3 of USA price and conceived at the first attempt.

8 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo