Community post

Discussion

PCOS or IBD?

So we have been on a roller coaster with my health. At first they thought the ultrasound showed cysts on my right ovary and diagnosed me with PCOS but they ended up finding diverticuli on my right side and the ER doc said no cysts on my ovary. I currently have infected diverticuli aka diverticulitis and they put me on morphine and 2 very strong antibiotics. My BBT this month has been very off during this infection which is to be expected but OPK was positive on the 28th. I am wondering if any other ladies have had a similar experience or might have some words of advice. I am going to a gastroenterologist on Friday but I am not sure if I should ask for a repeat ultrasound to verify that I in fact do not have cysts as they first thought. I have had chronic pain in my lower right abdomen for years and they found bowel adhesions and basically wrote me off. I likely had a flare up of diverticulitis that caused them and likely it's a chronic condition meaning that I have IBD but they will run further tests to confirm. Any advice appreciated, and if you have any questions ask away. Thanks so much for your time ladies!

4 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

Hi,
I was diagnosed with crohns disease when I was 21 and even though I have never been able to get it under control I was still able to fall pregnant with my ds at 38 after 6 months of trying. Problems with the gut can cause a lot of pain after we eat, and we have to eat to survive. I find eating foods that are easier to digest and go through your system quicker cause less pain. Pain from your gut can be anywhere in your abdominal region including down at your ovaries and uterus so try not think the worst.
If the doctor wasn't able to find cysts that is a good thing, if you are still cautious get a second opinion for your own peace of mind. That way you can put your worries behind you and enjoy ttc again.
I hope you are feeling better soon and get your

8 years ago

Thanks so much Kerzie. I am hopeful that the ultrasound radiologist actually saw diverticuli and not ovarian cysts because the ER doc really didn't think there was any after doing several different imaging. That said my cousin has Crohn's and bowel issues including colon cancer run in our family. When I first started having bowel pain it was over 3 years ago, they found adhesions nothing more, never explained the adhesions as I never had surgery and they told me they just had to treat me as a chronic pain patient. They diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia which makes sense it happens after a trauma the trauma being my bowel infection that caused the adhesions or so they say and I am inclined to believe that part at least. I have been in chronic pain for years with nothing more than treating my pain. They told me IBS was the cause of all of this now it looks like IBD of some sort and I will have to rule out Crohn's again. My understanding is that this is one of the ages where it presents in most people so it's very possible I have it. My cousin got sick when he was in middle school by the time they figured it out they had to give him a colostomy bag. At this point if it would stop my pain I would gladly accept a colostomy bag. Morphine is the only thing that puts a dent into my pain and my doctor will not give me any more after this and I totally understand I do not want to be on narcotics at all it just really zaps my quality of life being in so much pain. When this all started I saw a doctor who help me figure out which foods increased my pain and we eliminated most grains and fiber unfortunately that is likely what caused the diverticuli. I always felt better with loose stool so for me it's pretty normal to have diarrhea so I was very surprised when I went to the ER with what I thought was a ruptured ovarian cyst to be told I have IBD and need a gastro ASAP. I am starting to think I do not have PCOS at all as I have biphastic BBT except this month as I have had a fever and been on tylenol to control it all month, and I only ever have 1 LH surge. I broke down and bought a real bbt thermometer and a huge kit of OPKs and pregnancy tests. Hopefully we can figure this all out! What treatments did you use during pregnancy? When we just thought I had fibro with bowel adhesions we had a good plan safe for as baby but now I don't know what will happen. I really hope I can get pregnant. Baby dust to everyone!

8 years ago • Post starter

Hi,
I'm also left getting treated for chronic pain. I'm allergic to immunosuppressive drugs, they nearly killed me with pancreatitis as a side effect. I won't touch steroids unless it's an emergency, I don't want to become tolerant. Was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. It has seriously effected my quality of life but I have never suffered from depression since I had my ds.
I not going to lie, my pregnancy was hell, I developed a whole new set of symptoms which I think is something new that was triggered by the pregnancy. They said the natural steroids produced during pregnancy could make me feel better but I was just unlucky.
The good news is that antibiotics can be great while you are ttc, they increase ewcm and can cause a strong ovulation. So this might work out for you after all. Complications with health and being on pain meds didn't interfere with me getting pregnant, hope that puts your mind at ease a bit. Being a mum is the best thing ever as I'm sure you will find out soon xx

8 years ago

Awe thanks so much. I just finished my antibiotics unfortunately hubby is also very sick and we were unable to BD the day of O and the day after :( but we got the 5 days before so maybe! I have 2 MRIs booked for March not sure if we should stop ttc for those or not but she didn't ask about possible pregnancy when she ran through the list with me although she said my tattoo has to be watched closely. I do not have an issue with any medication as far as adverse reactions go, I have an issue with some of the non active ingredients though. My pain is still not tolerable without the morphine right now unfortunately and I am having hot flashes like crazy! After the Fibro diagnosis I was really intolerant to cold and was always cold like mexico honey moon and I was still cold now all of a sudden I get hot so easily and am sweating like crazy! It's not a known effect of my meds maybe it's the IBD I am not sure it's strange. It only started happening post O so maybe this is my month. I always get tender boobs post O so that is nothing new. Going to call and ask my doctor if I should stop ttc until the MRI but she knew we were trying and she has been following me through all of this and she didn't say anything so until I get the "stop" from her I guess we proceed as normal. Also noticed my medications aren't being fully digested, I guess the diarrhea can do that but it explains why the long acting stuff isn't enough yet it probably needs more time to get into therapeutic ranges since I am not absorbing it all. Oh life why you do? lol

8 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo