Community post

Discussion

HSG - My Experience

My doctor wanted to do an HSG this cycle to see if I my tubes were open and identify any potential problems in my uterus. I did what I figure most of you ladies will do and research the procedure. I would tell you DON'T DO IT but you're already here so keep reading.

So I checked in at the hospital and waited an hour before they brought me back to the room. I was naked from the waist down (fun) and it was cold in there. They have you hop up on the table for an initial picture of the reproductive organs. The beginning of the procedure is much like a pap smear. After the speculum is inserted, the doctor will clean your cervix. Now if youâ??re doctor tells you whatâ??s happening you will better prepare for the ensuing pain. When the doctor opens the cervix, there is some pinching. My doctor described it as crimping. There was pressure and cramping much like mild to moderate period cramping. Then there are two additional points of pain. He didnâ??t tell me what he was doing â?? probably for the best. The last point hurt like a mofo but it only lasted 5 seconds or so. I know because I was breathing and counting through the whole thing.

Once all the dye is inserted my doctor had me do a barrel roll under the x-ray machine to get additional photos. That was fun.

I wanted to give some information from my experience. It hurt. I want to be honest about that. The radiologist told me prior to that some women have passed out from the pain. They encourage you to breathe through it. The very last â??pain pointâ?? I will admit I felt like my knees would have buckled had I been standing up.

If your doctor recommends this test, I encourage you to do it. It will probably hurt but oh so worth it when you get your BFP.

1 Reply • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

Mine hurt too. I was prepared and had taken ibuprofen before the procedure, but it still hurt like a mofo. Not for very long, but enough to remember it a year later. I also had to go through the pain twice. Apparently I have a short cervix. They tried to pull the balloon down to get a good image of the uterus and the first balloon popped out. So we did the whole thing over again. Rolling over with a speculum and a balloon hanging out of your who-ha (and not squeezing anything out) isn't an easy task.

I also wanted to warn the ladies with an HSG in their future that the dye they use can give you the runs. A lot. Perhaps mine were worse because I had twice the amount of dye in there. The place that did the procedure was about and hour and a half from my house. By the time I got home I had to RUN to the restroom and didn't get my jeans totally down before my bowels exploded. Ick. Luckily the shower was right there, so I stripped and showered and bleached everything else. I would also plan on staying home if you can after the HSG procedure. You could work if you had too, but if you can schedule it, you'll probably want the rest of the day on the couch.

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo