Community post

Discussion

What to expect with your first cycle after miscarriage...

I don't know if I am posting this in the correct place or not. But here goes.

I had a miscarriage at 5+5 with my first pregnancy on Jun 4 of this year. I only bled for a total of 4 days and everything was done. My HCG level returned to normal approximately three weeks after. At 'cycle day 31', July 4, I started spotting nasty brown blood. By the wee hours of the morning on the fifth I had started a full period. Which became cycle day one. Boyfriend/baby dad and I had unprotected sex on both July 12 and 13. I suspect that I ovulated late afternoon on cycle day 9, July 13. So far for me, this is normal. I have always ovulated on cycle day 9 or 10. No later than 11 or 12. Pre pregnancy, my cycles were 25 to 26 days. I am now at cd 25, and have been having nausea, breast tenderness and mood swings for the better part of two weeks and have recently started having to pee more. By more I mean every 45 mins or so. I took a hpt yesterday and it was a bfn.

Because of the pregnancy and miscarriage, I don't know when to expect my period again or when to consider myself late. So I am giving it another week.

My question, after all this rambling is, did anyone else who has had a miscarriage, have their cycles return to normal as soon as their miscarriage was over, or is it going to be up in the air for a while?

6 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

I had a miscarriage the end of May beginning of June following what I thought was a normal period. I had a cycle start May 24th followed by some more bleeding the following Saturday. Which prompted a call to my RE. This learning of the pregnancy then the miscarriage. I did not have my next cycle start until July 4th. My cycles are 30 - 31 days. This one was an extra 10 days. My hcg was back at zero on 6/16. I hope this helps you. I will try and answer any other questions you may have.

TTC since 9/13 Very First , 6/5/14

9 years ago

Thank you so much for your reply. Every little bit of information helps. I'm just so confused because I ovulated like i normally would, so I kind of figured my period would run closer to schedule. I am on cycle day 26 right now and have had no cramps or anything that would imply my period is even remotely close. About 3 or 4 days before my period on July 5, I started having cramps. I've had none so far. So I figure I'll give it another week or so and if nothing shows, I'll test.

9 years ago • Post starter

I've had three miscarriages. Each time the wait until my first period post-miscarriage was different but once I had the first period post-miscarriage everything was back to normal.

Hope that helps

User Image

9 years ago

Thank you. It does.

9 years ago • Post starter

I also bleed for four days when I miscarried but I didnt bleed again til three months later. No spotting, nothing. Plus my cycle changed completely. I used to get my period every 26-28 days. Now im 30-31 days. So I do think u had ur first cycle back but idk if its gonna go back to normal rite away?

9 years ago

Hi liltitan,

I am sorry for your loss.
I know your original post was a while ago but I hope my story helps.

After a D & C, I bled for 2-3 days and spotting for a week (brown and not bright red). And when I was thinking post-miscarrage spotting has stopped, started to have light flow (bright red) - this was 16 days after D & C.

I thought this was my period but 4 days after the bright red flow turned into brown with CM today showing that my O was about to start.

I saw my OB today for a post D&C check-up and the scan showed that I will O very soon. So it wasn't AF.

My OB explained to me that the fresh bright red bleeding is due to my uterus being weak/thin and it's still shedding blood.

He would normally say try TTC as soon as ready but in my case I should wait for next cycle as with my uterus isn't ready to hold a pregnancy.

I asked him what would happen if I get pregnant in this cycle and he told me that very likely I will miscarry again.

I wish you all the best and baby dust + Sticky vibes for you.

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo