Community post

Discussion

Fibroids

So my ob/gyn yesterday felt a mass in my abdomen and said most likely, it's a fibroid. I'm going in for an ultrasound next week to make sure but she didn't seem to think it could be anything else.

She basically told me my only option to "preserve" childbearing ability was a myoectomy, which as she explained is major surgery with a 4-6 week recovery time. She did NOT give me any other options. I didn't really ask that many questions because 1) I was a bit in shock, and 2) I figured the time for questions was after I know for sure.

She really upset me though - and I don't get very easily rattled. She was just so matter-of-fact and blase about it all.

But after I had time to digest things a bit, I did what I always do and looked up massive amounts of information online. I found so many conflicting things, and even a lot of places where it said you could have a fibroid and still conceive - there's a danger it will get bigger but from what I read the choice to have surgery is not so black & white as she made it seem.

Even on THEIR OWN website, it says:
A small number of pregnant women have uterine fibroids. If you are pregnant and have fibroids, they likely won't cause problems for you or your baby.

During pregnancy, fibroids may increase in size. Coupled with the extra demands placed on the body by pregnancy, growth of fibroids may cause discomfort, feelings of pressure, or pain. Fibroids decrease in size after pregnancy in most cases.

Not only that, but the lead doctor in the practice has developed an alternative that they say 'preserves uterine function' and only takes 10 minutes in the office vs. hospitalization.

I guess I'm just venting here mostly, but am also wondering, any of you ladies have to deal with fibroids? What was your experience & what did you choose to do about them? Anyone here conceive with fibroids?

BFP 11/2011; missed m/c 12/2012; D&C 1/2012. Surgery to remove fibroids 4/2012. Trying again 7/2012~ --------- I'm on a quest to live life as if every day were vacation. Follow my journey at http://summerandsundays.com

6 Replies • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

Mine was a uterine fibroid the size of a 10week fetus so they had to remove it for me to sustain a pregnancy. We just started TTC in Sept 2011. My surgery was in Jan 2011. But even with the type I had, my Dr gave me like 4 options with all the consequences for each. She even drew diagrams. I would suggest getting a 2nd op. They are so common... so you should be able to find more Drs than you can shake a stick at to give you confidence in whether or not to follow what your Dr suggested.
There are some that can compete with the fetus for blood. Tht's what I had. You need to determine what type it is and what effect they can have on the pregnancy. Best of Luck.

User Image

12 years ago

Thank you for this. The fact that she only gave me the one option without even knowing for sure what I have and how it's impacting my uterus really threw me. She seems to know what she's talking about; however, I'm definitely getting a second opinion to discuss ALL my options.

It's so weird - I don't have any symptoms, though I did feel it when she showed me what she was talking about, so I guess it's not insignificant. She wanted to know how long it'd been there; but I couldn't even hazard a guess.

How was the surgery? Did it take long to recover? Were you out of work a long time? Even with surgery, it looks like there are less invasive options, and I'm just not sure why they weren't even brought up. Ugh.

BFP 11/2011; missed m/c 12/2012; D&C 1/2012. Surgery to remove fibroids 4/2012. Trying again 7/2012~ --------- I'm on a quest to live life as if every day were vacation. Follow my journey at http://summerandsundays.com

12 years ago • Post starter

Well since mine was in the uterus, she was able to go in vaginally and remove it. The surgery itself was fine. I had it on Thurs, recooped home on Friday and the weekend. I was up and around but a little weak. I went to work on Monday... but should have stayed home. The meds were messing with me. Because of the location and the vaginal entry, no real recovery time besides that.

She told me I could TTC starting in April (3 cycles later). I still have 3 fibroids I believe. But they are outside the uterus. They dont mess with me, I dont mess with them.

I wish I could remember the terms she used for them.. but they had names and she could tell me what they would do during pregnancy based on the type they were, etc.

I had just moved from another office when she diagnosed me. She was my second opinon actually.... my quality of life is 100% better. It turned on like a faucet during my cycle and my uterus kept trying to contract to expel it. It was horrible. I chose the best option for me. Could be totally different if you cant feel them and they dont interfere with your fertility plans.

They expect mine will come back because this is the second surgery in 3 years. So to preserve my fertility, I have to get started this year TTC.

User Image

12 years ago

Thanks LadyLuck, I've been reading that a lot of times, even with surgery, they do come back. I have to wait until next week to get an ultrasound and figure out exactly where and how big and what this is, but I'd like to have as much info as possible going into this so I know what questions to ask and whether I need to search out other opinions.

In the meantime, it kinda sucks cause I'm pretty close to O date and I just don't know whether I should keep trying or wait until this is sorted out before thinking about conceiving. Probably something I should have asked while I was in the office, but of course I didn't think about it then.

12 years ago • Post starter

No harm in calling to see what she thinks... Good luck!

User Image

12 years ago

Hi el2011!

I can tell by reading your post that your a little stressed. There is no need for that...everything will be okay!

I wanted to focus on the snippet of text that you added to the bottom of your post. I have fibroids and am treating them naturally. I was also advised to have surgery...but I didn't have the money for it. So, I found a natural treatment.

If fibroids grow during your pregnancy they can push/add pressure on surrounding organs. A way to stop the growth and/or reduce them size..can be done by adjusting your diet and exercise.

Check this site out...they also have a great blog section.http://www.naturalfibroids.com

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo