Community post

Discussion

49 Not trying to conceive, but not NOT trying, might be preg

So you can read my "backstory" on my profile page I guess. I'm new here this week. Basically I am late for my period and have had a ton of symptoms that I might be pregnant, as well as two positives on at home tests (along with some that looked negative to me) - then tested negative urine test at the doc's yesterday. I'm only two days late for my period and only about 16 dpo probably. Not sure about when ovulation was but fairly sure it was July 5th due to some symptoms I had. Had lots of fun sex with the boyfriend on July 4th (marathon... lol) Anyway, we have not been trying to have a baby, but at my age I haven't been doing anything to prevent it either because I thought the odds would be astronomical of me ever getting pregnant. And I'm in a committed relationship, we're both clean and healthy... didn't want to bother with condoms, etc... ya know?

For the past week my breasts have been really sore and have grown in size SO much - it's like they feel swollen. Same with my abdomen - it feels "swollen." Lots of bloating and gas. Nausea off and on (fairly mild.) I was peeing like crazy a couple of days ago and still go quite a bit if I drink a lot (out of character for me because the running joke in the family is that I am part camel because I hardly ever have to pee. LOL!) ALL of these are out of the norm for me. I'm the weirdo who never gets PMS symptoms at all. I never know I'm getting my period until I start my cramps then BOOM - there's the bleeding. Every 28 days like clockwork. This time, I've had cramping but no period. No spotting at all except for a TINY spot or two after a bowel movement yesterday (TMI) but I think that was from the pap smear they did at the OB/GYN appt. So yeah... this is REALLY odd for me.

The OB is saying I'm "not pregnant" based on their urine test, which they ran twice just to be sure. Even though I brought my positive stick in with me and a photo that I took of it 5 minutes after taking it. (It hadn't changed in that time - still the faint pink line.) I also showed her the pic of the positive test I took at about 11 dpo. Still - she can't say I'm pregnant unless her test comes back positive and it didn't. I respect that. Just can't figure out why one would and one wouldn't. I used first morning urine with the one I took yesterday morning that was positive. The one at the doctor's office I took at around 10 am after I arrived. (sigh)

Let me just say that if I AM pregnant and if all is okay and healthy, then I'd be over the moon! I have no children and neither does my boyfriend. He would love to have kids, I know he would (he's ten years younger.)

So I am in a holding pattern, waiting for news from the doctor about the results of my beta HCG test they ran yesterday. They said it could take a day or two. :-/ I haven't done any more at home tests because it seems wasteful until I know more from the blood tests, really, right?

So... has anyone else ever been in my shoes and found themselves pregnant (or thinking they might be) at this point in their life? It's nerve wracking, the waiting, etc... for sure! Also scary because everything I read when I Google about having babies at my age is SO downtrodden and negative. :-( Ugh. Trying NOT to stress because that will only make things worse. DEEP cleansing breaths. LOL!

10 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

Hello ThisIsCrazy! I am 46 and desperately trying for that all natural BFP. I have to say that all signs point to you being pregnant! Congratulations. There are plenty of us older women trying, and succeeding at conceiving, and most have perfectly healthy babies at the end of the journey.
I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Just wait for the Beta to come back and then you'll know a lot more.
I wish you all the best in your journey.

9 years ago

Thanks, pixandpoetry! I still have not heard back from the doctor. I plan to call them after lunch if I have not heard anything by then. Still no period and I just "feel" pregnant. (sigh)

9 years ago • Post starter

Chin up girl! This could be a wonderful blessing for you and your BF!
Keep me posted. I think positivity makes a world of difference!

9 years ago

True! I am trying to remain as optimistic as possible because I firmly believe attitude has SO much to do with things. If it turns out that I am pregnant, I can't wait to see the look BF's face. LOL! I think he will be elated, but I also think he'll be somewhat terrified. Hahahaha!

Got the blood test results today. I'm definitely pregnant. HCG was only 19, but I'm also only 4 weeks and 2 days, so the nurse told me not to get too worked up about that. They really don't want to see me (unless I have problems) until I'm ten weeks though! That seems a long wait to me. She said to call back in mid August for an early September appt. I'm going to email the doctor and see if that sounds right. Cautiously optimistic, but smiling. :-)

OH excellent news! So happy for you. Can't wait to hear how the BF takes it!

9 years ago

pixandpoetry - me too! LOL! I am hoping to tell him tomorrow night. We're supposed to have a "date night" after he gets off work. I'm nervous but excited. Trying to stay calm though, because at my age... I'm just thankful to make it to each new day of the pregnancy, but I am also secretly doing a happy dance thinking how lovely a little baby would be - a combination of both himself and me - product of our love. I sit here and wonder what he/she will look like, etc... can't help it. Trying to be "cautiously optimistic" but at the same time I'm having a lot of fun daydreams. :-)

Pretty sure I am losing this pregnancy. Just started bleeding fairly heavily like a period and cramping just like a period. :-( Will call the doctor in the morning. It's so early in the pregnancy that I doubt they'll do anything. (sigh)

Oh no, I am so sorry for the stress this must be causing you. I can certainly relate to what you are going through as I have had 2 mc and 3 chemicals in the last 3 years. Sometimes our body knows exactly what it needs to do though. I will keep my fingers crossed for a positive outcome. If you truly want a baby in your life, then I believe it will happen for you.

Blessings and positive thoughts headed to you! If you need anything, even just to vent about how you feel, you can always message me privately.

9 years ago

Thank you so much. Still emailing back and forth with the doctor. Cramping is horrible. :-/

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo