Community post

Discussion

Severe MFI testing - what to expect now? Help!

Hi everyone. I've given up on searching the internet for answers and thought I would come here for your expert advise!

Here's the situation:

We have had 2 abnormal SA's with the following results:
Volume: normal
Color: normal
Viscosity: increased
liquifaction: increased
count: 3.2 million (total)
Could not determine motility, etc due to low quality sample.

TTC 25 mos.

The doctor could not feel any obstructions or abnormalities.

Testosterone, FSH & Prolactin were normal.

Genetic testing returned no microdeletions & no chromosomal abnormalities.

SO...our urologist has referred us to another urologist that specializes in Male Infertility. We do have an appointment with the RE in August, but he won't treat DH (only me). We are trying every option before IVF (we are totally cool with IUI if we could but his samples are too poor).

My question is: does anyone know what we can expect from this appointment with the new Urologist? Is there hope that there's a blockage even though the previous doc couldn't feel anything? Are there any more tests we can do?

I'm so confused and scared, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

User Image

1 Reply • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

Hi,

My DH also had severe MFI. I'm surprised they couldn't get motility - my DH had 1.9 million and they were able to determine motility and morphology. We saw a urologist that specializes in male reproduction - allegedly one of the top ones in the field. Unfortunately, if his volume is normal, there is a good chance there is not a blockage.

The first appointment we met with the urologist (I had to be there, too), we discussed our history, etc. Then he ordered a ton of blood tests. It took several weeks to come back, about 5 weeks later we met again with the urologist. All of the tests came back normal. They did an exam and looked at everything, but everything looked normal. Your new urologist might do an ultrasound of his testicles.

Our doctor basically said, there's nothing wrong that they can find, so it is what it is and there isn't really anything we can do about it. Unfortunately for us, ICSI/IVF is our only option. Unless there is a hormonal imbalance, there really isn't treatment for severe MFI, except for ICSI/IVF. The doctor said maybe someday they would be able to test for different things and hopefully find ways to help, but unfortunately medicine isn't there yet. We meet with our RE for a follow up next Thursday to discuss the next step, which is ICSI/IVF.

So if all of the tests came back normal (genetic and hormones) I'm not sure what else they can do for him, unless they find a Varicocele or an ultrasound does reveal a blockage. I hope that's the case. BabyCenter.com has a group dedicated to MFI that you might find useful.

If your doctor has recommendations for supplements that could help, please be sure to share. Wish you both the best.

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo