Community post

Discussion

What do I do next? I need help.

Hello everyone,

My wife recently took a home pregnancy test which tested positive. We live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and because my wife just recently applied to become a permanent resident as my spouse, she doesn't have medical coverage through MSP and likely won't have coverage for another 6-7 months. So we are trying to figure out what to do and I thought I could post some questions here and maybe get some help.

1. Should we go with a midwife or GP for her medical check-ups?

2. At what point will we be refered to an OBGYN?

3. What are the advantages of a GP over a midwife?

4. Which tests are important that we get done during the pregnancy?

5. My wife is 33 and she would like to do screenings for possible chromosome abnormalities. Do you recommend SIPS, IPS or NIPT?

6. How many ultrasounds should we do and at what weeks?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

4 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

Hi,
The best advice I can give you is to ask your doctor all these questions. Your doctor can give you professional advice with the knowledge of both medical histories.
I'm in the UK and can't help you with most questions but we were offered genetic screening, to help us decide the consultant asked if we would terminate the pregnancy if something was wrong. He told us to go away and think hard as some of the tests can be dangerous. It might save you time and money if you both decide before paying out for expensive medical visits exactly what steps you are prepared to take.
Good luck to you both and congratulations

8 years ago

Okay thanks.

We don't have a doctor or medical histories currently so those are things we will need. And it costs $150 to see a doctor so I was hoping to have a better understanding of what to ask because every time we see a doctor we need to pay this fee.

From what I have read the NIPT test doesn't have any risk and is one of the more accurate ways to test. But it also costs $495. I think we may end of going with this though because they all cost a lot.

I think we will need to pay to see a doctor and ask them questions. We just don't know what to ask and what doctor to go see. We don't know what to do at all.

8 years ago • Post starter

Hi again,
Sorry I couldn't be any help, can I just say that really sucks it costs so much. It's not fair to have to worry about money when you should be enjoying this time.
Keep your post updated so as many people as possible see it in 'recent activity'
I'm sure someone from Canada will read it soon and be great help to you. I hope everything works out for you both.

8 years ago

Thanks for the support. It does indeed suck. I was hoping the process of getting medical coverage would be easier but the more I've read the more disappointing it becomes.

My wife and I have sent in applications to everywhere that supports people in our situation so we are hoping that we get positive responses from them in the near future.

Until then we got a call back from a place that is willing to see us for free and give us some medical advice and possible do some tests for my wife. I am not sure how extensive they will be but anytime we can get in front of a doctor and ask questions without paying $150, I am happy.

Our parents are very supportive and I think they will help us as much as they can but none of them have a lot of money so we aren't expecting a miracle with that. But no matter what we are trying to think positive and not worry about the costs because worrying isn't going to help.

8 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo