Community post

Discussion

PCOS, long winded, help!

Right, will start with a brief history. Diagnosed with PCOS in 2012. Been TTC for 3 years. Conceived but miscarried on Clomid in May. I don't ovulate and need Clomid to ovulate. Only ovulated twice in my life, ive just turned 24. Hospital don't care and are extremely rude to me. Ever since I miscarried, my LH hormone is always picked up pretty strong or positive on cheapy OPK dip tests. Before I miscarried I never had 2 lines. I have cysts on my ovaries, hormone imbalance and loads of other unfortunate symptoms of PCOS. 2 weeks ago my nipples were extremely sore and sensitive. Them touching the inside of my bra was painful which was really strange as they're never ever sore (and I mean never!!!) So I thought something must be going on and did a PG and OPK test. PG was negative, OPK was positive and continued to be for 4 days and the test line was getting darker every day. Now as I said before I sometimes do get positive OPK's, but as my nipples were awfully sore and swollen I thought maybe this was it, I was getting a chance to conceive! We BD'd on the strongest test day (well night!) And the next day the tests started fading to negative and nearly just one line on the test instead of two. I had twinges in my left ovary during the day. My boobs continued to be sore but after 3 days the extremely sore nipples started to go. But the overall feeling of my boobs being bruised started and are still feeling bruised and sore now. In the past few days I've had an achey tummy and the odd cramp now and again (feels like I'm due to start a period). I did a PG and Ovulation test at what should have been 6dpo (yesterday if I did ovulate) and my OPK was positive again. But now it's faded again and is still visible on the tests but not half as strong (PG test was negative). It's so hard to sit back and relax when you want something this much, and maybe I didn't release an egg on that day, but somethings going on as my boobs are sore still and I'm not used to them feeling sore for 2 weeks! Anyone shed any light on what's going on!! I'm praying I did ovulate last weekend and that I'll get a BFP soon!!! Oh and also, when I wash and dry my hair, I'm losing a lot more than normal, is this PCOS related???

3 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Let me start by saying I'm so sorry for your loss and all the trouble you've had TTC. :(

Now let's discuss OPKs:

OPKs must have the test line be as dark or darker than the control line to be considered positive. If there is clearly a test line but it is noticeably lighter than the control line the OPK is negative. I know this tends to cause some confusion because a pregnancy test is positive no matter how light the test line is. Simply a test line being visible at all makes a positive.

Also, OPKs cannot confirm ovulation. OPKs only detect the LH surge that is responsible for ovulation. Unfortunately, your body can "gear up" to ovulate and not quite make it. It isn't uncommon or abnormal. When this happens your body will generally try again in time. Your body may try again in a couple or days or it may take a couple of weeks. Because of this you can have multiple positive OPKs in a cycle. You can also have a positive OPK and not actually ovulate.

What you're describing with your breasts being tender reminds me of how my breasts get around ovulation. My breasts tend to stay tender for a couple of days after ovulation. This is not to say that you definitely did ovulate as there is simply no way I could know that.

If you conceived this cycle it would be very unlikely to get a positive test a 6DPO. Once an egg is fertilized it takes approximately 7-12 days to travel from your Fallopian tube to your uterus where it implants. From the time of implantation you can expect it to take a day or 2 before you're able to get enough hCG in your urine to turn a test positive. Because of this, most women are not able to turn a positive HPT till at least 9DPO.

If you suspect you may be pregnant my best advice is to wait till your period would be late. If you don't get your period take a test. Also, if you know you wouldn't take seeing a negative well then you may want to use a conservative test date. In this case, you'd take the day after the last positive OPK as your ovulation date and use that to determine DPO for testing.

Hopefully your get your BFP soon!

TTC #1: January 2015- October 2015 BFP #1: October 16, 2015. MC: November 6, 2015 BFP #2: March 15, 2016. MC: March 21, 2016 TTC Rainbow: November 2015- Present

8 years ago

I understand how OPKs work, when I say they're positive, I mean test line darker than control line. My boobs have been sore for over 2 weeks and today had some terrible cramps and aches in lower tummy, don't know what's going on but its so frustrating not knowing what's going on and doctors unwilling to find out!! X

8 years ago • Post starter

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you don't understand how they work. I was sorta including that to be thorough since I wasn't 100% sure from your post what you were counting as positive.

You likely already know this also since you've been TTC with PCOS for as long as you have but PCOS can cause false positives on OPKs.

Do you temp? It would probably help you track what is going on with your cycles. I have very irregular cycles and temping has saved me a lot of confusion. It's been really nice to be able to know when I ovulated from temp spikes and such. I usually get more than 1 positive OPK a cycle so I find OPKs aren't too helpful for me.

I can absolutely relate to it being frustrating when doctors just don't seem to care and won't take the time to investigate something when you know there is something not right. It took me several years and a lot of different doctors to finally find out I have Endometriosis because no one would ever investigate it. It seems doctors always assume everything is totally normal and you're overreacting.

TTC is so frustrating already without all the other added nonsense. Hopefully you get some answers soon. :/

TTC #1: January 2015- October 2015 BFP #1: October 16, 2015. MC: November 6, 2015 BFP #2: March 15, 2016. MC: March 21, 2016 TTC Rainbow: November 2015- Present

8 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo