Community post

Discussion

How long does it take for HCG levels to disappear?

My husband and I have been trying for almost 5 years now. We had our first pregnancy after 2 years and 9 months of trying, but had a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks. 3 D&C's, and a laparoscopy later we started trying again. It took 2 years and 8 months to get our BFP a few weeks ago. My first HCG came back at only 23, the next day it went to 29, and two days later only 36. The doctor wanted us to terminate the pregnancy, but I wanted to give it another week hoping for a miracle. Well, I woke up Sunday morning to heavy bleeding and cramping. Spent all day in ER on to find out we were having yet again another miscarriage. I'm absolutely heart broken, and I'm just ready for it all to be over with. I'm on my fourth day of bleeding, but it is now a light flow, and brown in color. I took a left over pregnancy test and it's still positive. How long should it take for my already low HCG levels to disappear? Doctor said I could try a low dose aspirin, and as soon as I get my next BFP we are to start Progesterone. I'm ready to put this behind me, but it's like my body is moving in slow motion. I know bleeding can last 1-4 weeks, but I was wanting to hear other women's experiences. Thanks in advance!

3 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Hey leilanib29,

I'm so sorry for your losses and pray that you get a sticky bfp soon. Well my experience with loss went something like this...I had a missed mc on 10/12/15 at 8 weeks (baby's heart stopped beating at 7w 2d). I passed everything naturally. My Hcg had went from 7600 to 629 in less than 7 days! I had medium to light bleeding for 7 days total. I counted my 1st day of heavy bleeding and cramps (clots and sack passing) as cd1. I usually have 29 day cycles but was told that my cycle may be thrown off for a little while so I shouldn't expect for af to come in exactly 29 days. Well my new cycle started exactly when it was supposed to (about 4 weeks after mc). I know that everyone is different so I'm not sure when yours will regulate. However, your Hcg levels were already extremely low so I'm sure that if you've passed everything u should b getting a bfn in about 7-14 days. Of course I'm not a health professional, just my opinion and experience. Keep everyone posted as to how you're doing hun.

User Image

8 years ago

Very similar as previous reply. 9week scan showed no hb, baby measuring at 8wks..followed by d&c same day. No bleeding for two days then clots for a few days followed by a week of spotting. 2 wks after d&c still very faint pos on urine hcg, 4 weeks as period started tested neg for hcg.
Very sorry for your loss, the heartbreak of what could have been never really goes away but it does get easier.
I hope you have success really soon.

8 years ago

Thanks for the response ladies! Started medium flow again, and here I was thinking it was almost the end. Doctor wants me to come back in a month to run some labs to see if it's a clotting factor or hormones. In the meantime I started low dose aspirin, and he said as soon as we get our next BFP I can start Progesterone suppositories. Also, he said with the next pregnancy we will do an ultrasound every week to check progress until I'm out of the first trimester. I hope we get our rainbow baby soon! Doc said there is no need to wait until after I get my period to start trying again, because studies have shown no correlation with increase risk of repeat miscarriage with the following pregnancy. So, as soon as this annoying bleeding stops we will be back at it!

8 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo