Community post

Discussion

ectopic/chemical pregnancy? confused!

I tested a faint positive at 14 dpo and the same faint line at 16 dpo. At 17 dpo I started bleeding heavily and went to my doctors. My HCG (beta) levels were at 54 and nothing was visible on the internal ultrasound. At this point my doctor had thought it was a chemical pregnancy and wanted me to come back in two days later for another blood test. Two days later my levels dropped to 45. At that point my doctor confirmed the chemical pregnancy and continued to monitor my levels. The following week the levels went up to 61 (at this point I would have been 6 week pregnant). She then diagnosed me with an ectopic pregnancy (thinking it was in my tubes) and gave me methotrexate (a drug to "dissolve" the pregnancy). 4 days after the shot my levels increased to 161 (the highest they have been). I am going to go back in a couple days to check levels and determine if I need a second shot of methotrexate. My doctor also told me that I should not start trying to conceive for 6 months after my levels return to zero.
Has anyone experienced something similar and how long until you began trying again?

1 Reply • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

Hi Stephaniem15. I had an ectopic pregnancy in July 2013.
I was told in May of 2012 that i was never going to be able to conceive due to a problem with my ovaries. It took me a while to accept. After wanting to be a mommy so badly, we decided to try the adoption process. In November 2012, we were chosen to be parents to a beautiful unborn baby boy. In January 2013 he arrived. In July we fell pregnant (my son 6 months old). We were unbelievably happy but so shocked at the same time, thinking how this was possible? On 17dpo the HPT was +. On 20dpo i had severe cramps on my left. I was rushed to Emergency where they did a scan and found a mass in my left tube. My blood test was 225. They told me my blood count had to double in 48 hrs for it not to be an ectopic pregnancy. After 48hrs, it came back as 500. I was 50 out. Went for an internal examination and the embryo was literally 2mm away from the uterus. I was devastated. I received the same methotrexate injection the same night. I just remember crying the entire time thinking how life could be so cruel, after being told i wasnt able to have children, to falling pregnant and then finding out it is in the wrong place Anyway, i had more blood taken over the next couple of days until my hcg was at 0. We werent allowed to have sex for 3 months after that injection. We started trying again in January this year. Not sure why you have to wait 6 months, but then again I am not a doctor
I wish you all the best. Keep strong.

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo