Community post

Discussion

What qualifies as pregnant on a blood test?

Here's the back story, My last period was on July 1st.
Have done numerous HPT's and all have come out negative, last week at work I had a dizzy spell and fainted. I was sent home and told to see a Dr. They did urine and blood tests.

Today I had my follow up appointment, first she showed the results from the urine test which were 1.2 so negative. Then our conversation went like this..

"okay, see its negative"
"alright what about the bloods?"
"oh, yes its low too so it's negative"
"but it says 1,000mui/ml??"
"oh yeah, but the urine is negative. If you have concerns maybe wait and see your family DR"
"Well is there something you can give me to help my period come on?"
"oh no, just wait and time will tell! Okay bye! Have a good day"

That was that...
My family DR is away on holidays until mid september, so thats damn near impossible.

On that note, 1000 seems low considering that I am so late on my period.
Hubby left for work on July 20th, so the 19th was the last time we got busy!!

Anyone have advice or input?

2 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

According to the American Pregnancy Association:

hCG levels in weeks from LMP:
•3 weeks LMP: 5 – 50 mIU/ml
•4 weeks LMP: 5 – 426 mIU/ml
•5 weeks LMP: 18 – 7,340 mIU/ml
•6 weeks LMP: 1,080 – 56,500 mIU/ml
•7 – 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 – 229,000 mIU/ml
•9 – 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 – 288,000 mIU/ml
•13 – 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 – 254,000 mIU/ml
•17 – 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 – 165,400 mIU/ml
•25 – 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 – 117,000 mIU/ml
•Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml

So if you ovulated somewhere around July 19th then you'd be somewhere around five weeks or so which would put you within the range for five weeks according to the chart. Do you usually have regular cycles? Are you able to make another appointment with a different doctor in a few days to see if your blood hCG has increased? I do agree with the doctor when she said don't take anything just yet to bring on a period in case you're in the very very early stages of pregnancy. When were you expecting your period?

Me (29) Hubby (35) PCOS Mommy to Miss I (2009), Miss P (2014), and now trying for our third. Can't wait to see a soon!

8 years ago

It depends on the lab, some consider a level over 5 to be positive for pregnancy, others are 25 and over. Levels below 5 can be sometimes seen in nonpregnant women, so they are generally considered negative.

8 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo