Community post

Discussion

Glass Thermometer Speed and Room Temperature

I am well along in the TWW and no BFP yet, but I am wondering if anyone else who is temping can give some advice about an odd pattern on my BBT chart. About 4 days ago my temp started dropping and the last two days has stayed down just above the coverline. I was super bummed and sure AF would arrive any minute, but so far nothing (not even a hint). I know stranger things have happened on a chart and AF could be well on her way, but my chart has been perfect so far this month otherwise and so I have started looking for alternative explanations.

DH noted that our room has been getting colder the last few nights because the heat was off but there was a cold front moving through. He asked if that could cause it, but I didn't think so since I hadn't felt any colder in the mornings (just burrowing more in the covers I guess). But then I remembered a review I had read about the glass thermometer I've been using that sometimes the liquid moved more slowly than other times and it could take as long as 15 minutes to get an accurate temp! I hadn't noticed any problem before, but now that it's getting colder could I be having falsely low temps?

FWIW, I also took my temp this afternoon and it was exactly the same as it was this morning after 3-4 minutes (my usual wait time). I thought having the same temp in the afternoon as at first waking was odd. Then I popped it back in for another 5 minutes and the stinker went up by about .5 degrees more before finally showing no further increases.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and for probably grasping at straws, but does anyone have experience with these glass non-mercury thermometers? Are they temperamental about room temp? Anything I can do to rule out a cold room problem or to prevent my thermometer from slowing down in the cold?

Thanks, ladies!

3 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Hi there. Do you want to share your BBT chart so we can see the trend you are describing?

I used to use a mercury thermometer before I accidentally threw it across the room when shaking it down and it broke! I found it much more difficult to get precise temps as your eyes cannot see to the level of precision that the digital thermometers are capable of. When I replaced it with a digital one I found my charts looked soooo much better and therefore easier to analyse. I never noticed any issues with it taking longer to get a temp than in summer, but our winters are very mild. I always waited at least 4 minutes anyway just to be sure.

How many dpo are you now?

10 years ago

Thanks for the reply, shelob! I was 11 or 12 dpo at the time of writing, but unfortunately whether the temp drop was affected by my room temperature or not it was a sign of AF on her wicked way! The previous cycle I had not observed a temp drop until after AF, though, so I was suspicious something else might be going on.

At any rate, I definitely appreciate the suggestion about digital but for me it wasn't really working. For one, I typically temp while DH is sleeping and he really dislikes the beeping of the digital (why no one seems to sell a vibrating digital thermometer for temping that also has a backlight is beyond me -- maybe one day I will patent one). Secondly, at least the ones I have had (even the one I bought specifically to be a basal thermometer) seemed very temperamental. I never felt I was getting my "real" temperature when I used one.

Thus my switch to non-digital (it is actually a non-mercury substitute, but same idea). It worked for me beautifully last cycle, except for that uncertainty about the cold room. I do think the liquid can slow down in certain conditions, but I guess my solution will just be to take my temp for the same amount of time every morning and try to make better note of the room conditions if they are unusual.

P.S. I would share my chart, but I use FF and I have no idea how!

10 years ago • Post starter

Sorry AF came :( I always get a drop in temp at least a day before and then goes up again once it starts. Interesting that yours comes after it starts.

Just for future reference in fertility friend you share your chart through the "sharing" tab. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ttc/homepage_module.php?action=GetCode#codes for a quick link. Then you will need to answer a couple of questions to do with how much info you want shared and then you get a URL link with an identifying number which you can paste on here. I like fertility friend too :)

When I broke my mercury thermometer I couldn't find another on in the shops. Like you I was concerned about the beeping of digital ones and also the backlight. I am such an irregular sleeper than I needed to be able to take it and go back to sleep without looking at it (if I could) and mine works well for that. It does beep but after more than 2 years my husband can now sleep through it! It just has one button so easy to use in the dark and no backlight so it doesn't light up the room. I have heard others complaining about noise from theirs so I can appreciate the issue! that's great your non-digital one is working for you, don't fix what isn't broken I say!

I hope this cycle is more successful than your last!!!

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo