Community post

Discussion

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) Prevented Me from Becoming Pregna

I just wanted warn anyone who's trying to conceive and taking Benadryl, Z-Quil, Tylenol PM, etc. all of which has the main, active ingredient, diphenhydramine. It is, in fact, very physically addicting and can prevent pregnancy. If I would have known these things, I never would have started taking it for my allergies.

It affects the central nervous system, causes horrible short term memory loss, sleep apnea, lack of dreaming because it puts you in such a deep sleep, among many other side effects. I was in a fog for about 3 years and didn't know that's what it was from. When I found out all the horrible side effects, I tried quitting and I went into horrible withdrawal. It started out as slight nausea and after four days I was violently vomiting, to the point where I was completely sore the next day. I ended up taking one pill whenever I felt nauseated and that enabled me to taper off completely, over six days. I tried just tapering from my full dose before, but whenever I'd get lower than 1 1/2 pills, I'd start getting nauseated.

We have been TTC for over a year now and I didn't know why I wasn't getting pregnant. I was so fertile before. I use to say if a guy looked at me wrong, I'd get pregnant. Well, I went through those withdrawals during my period and that same cycle I finally got pregnant. It was definitely the diphenhydramine that was preventing me from getting pregnant. So, I wanted to let anyone else know, who's having a hard time conceiving, while taking a sleep aid or who, like I was, is taking it for allergies throughout the day.

I feel that the way I quit is really the best way to do it. I've read horror stories from a multitude of others who have gone through withdrawals from diphenhydramine and their nausea was lasting longer than two weeks. I read someone's post who said it had been over a month and they were asking if anyone knew when the nausea would go away. Mine was four days of nausea until I couldn't take it anymore and then I tapered down for six days.

My memory is now great, like it use to be. I no longer snore. I'm dreaming up a storm. I have my energy back AND most of all, I'm Pregnant!!

Good Luck to you All!

2 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

It is funny you say that. I refused to take Benadryl for my colds because it made me feel weird and I couldn't see how chugging down cough syrup could get you pregnant when it has multiple ingredients in it

10 years ago

Yeah, the ingredient in the cough syrup that's supposed to help thin out your cervical mucus is Guaifenesin. If you want to try it, that's the only ingredient in Mucinex. However, I tried it a couple times and then stopped because I was thinking, humans have been getting pregnant for as long as humans have been around. I think our bodies know the best time to thin out or thicken our Cerv-Muc. (as my husband and I call it.) :-)

I've never known benedryl to affect anyone in a weird way until my husband took one pill a few years ago. He said it makes him high for a few minutes and then he was passed out for more than 24 hours. Crazy and not unusual, apparently.

Funny thing is, the reason why I questioned my benadryl intake was because I was watching an episode of Elementary and Sherlock Holmes said something about diphenhydramine being illegal in other countries and that it's a neurotoxin. Everything happens for a reason. That's when I started my research and tried quitting the first time. I'm so glad I was finally able to stop taking it and I'll never take it again.

10 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo