Community post

Discussion

How important are OPKs, really?

Trying OPKs for the first time. I've taken 2 OPKs (yesterday @ 3 PM and today @ 1 PM) and both were negative. I'm on cd 18, and typically Ov around cd 18-21. I really don't want to fork over the $ for OPKs if I don't absolutely need them.

My question is, if we BD every day or every other day during a 2 week period, does it matter if I "catch the LH surge"? I guess what I'm asking is what would I do differently if I DID detect the surge? We're still BDing no matter what.

Are my chances of conceiving less if I don't use OPKs? Has anyone gotten PG and missed detection of LH that month?

Sorry...that was more than one ?. Guess I'm getting a little zany with all this TTC.

User Image

5 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

If you bd a lot then no, opks aren't important. If you already know your cycles and when to expect o then you don't need them. If you are going to use them it is best to test twice a day. I usually test around 11am and 7pm.

I used them along with bbt and cm when I was first TTC. Now I know my cycles and can predict o from my cm.

User Image

10 years ago

Thanks! I'm 38 and know my cycles well, but second guess myself. TTC #3 after 10 years, so I'm rusty. Haha! It's #1 with my new hubby, though. Exciting all over again!

User Image

10 years ago • Post starter

I would start using the OPK tests up to 2 days before the first date that you might ovulate. The LH surge occurs something like 12-36 hours before ovulation, so if you start testing too late, you would easily miss it.

Personally, I use OPKs along with BBT, CM, and checking cervix. I find it's a bit imprecise compared to checking CM and cervix once you get to know your body because of that big and variable lag between the surge and actual ovulation. I only get less than 12 hours of EWCM so that's the best indicator for me to get it on.

User Image

10 years ago

I buy my OPK test strips on Amazon...you can get 50 LH strips and 20 PG tests for about $20. You do have the hassel of having to pee in a cup but they work great for me and they are cheap. But to answer your question, no you don't have to use them. Good luck :)

10 years ago

Thanks for the tips, gals!! At this point, I think I'm going to stick with BD every to every other day and not do the OPKs. I'm trying to keep the "if it's meant to be it will be" mindset, but my tendency toward the obsessive gets the best of me. I may start temping next month. We'll see how it goes.

User Image

10 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo