Community post

Discussion

Anyone TTC after myomectomy for fibroids?

My story--I am 32, my DH is 37, we have been togather for nine wonderful years, married nearly 5. We first started TTC in May 2012, I discovered I had a 5 by 5 cm submucosal firbrod October 2012. I was told the fibroid was largely in the cavity and taking up any room for implantation. At this time my periods were very bad although they had been bad for some time prior to this. At this time I was experiencing flooding during days 2-3 of my cycle. I would have extremely heavy bleeding for 36-48 hrs straight (soaking one super plus tampon and overnight pad per hour) My bleeding would then become more manageable but would last for a total of 10-15 days. Naturally this attributed to my anemia which I will address later. My gyno recommended a laprosopic hysterscopy which involves using the robot to cut up and remove the fibroid via the vaginal opening (no incision) this is an outpatient treatment requiring a few hous in the hospital under GA. This type of removal can only be done if the fibroid is entirely in the cavity. Early December 2012, I had this procedure done. Recovery was a breeze, I was up and at the market the next day. however, i continued to have light bleeding for 30 days after and was told at my check-up that this could last another few months.

After two cycles, the bleeding had stopped so DH and I once again started TTC. After 3 months with no luck I was back at my gyno hoping to do an iui. In the process of planning the iui an ultrasound was done and another Fibroid was discovered May 2013. Esentially, the fibroid had grown back in the same spot. I scheduled another laproscopic hysterscopy for June 2013. In hindsight, I wish I would have skipped this step. My gyno suggested I could have the same surgery or the more invasive robotic myomectomy, I choose the same non-invasive procedure. I had the procedure in June 2013, My recovery was the same except the bleeding only lasted a week or two after surgery this time.

We waited one cycle and began TTC August 2013. I must mention at this time, my gyno informed my DH and I that the fibroid was not only in the uterin cavity but also in the wall, he was unable to remove the portion in the wall because he felt it would affect my fertility in the negative. After extensive research on my part, I have come to the conclusion not removing the entire fibroid is a waste of money and time. Leaving behind the cells and root of the old fibroid only increases the chances of the fibroid growing back and the speed at which they grow back.

In July I totally changed my diet, limited processed food, working out 4-5 days a week doing cardio, started taking blackstrap molasses, apple cider vinigar and flaxseed daily (each have their own benefits). I have not eaten pork in nearly 15 years and eliminated red meat from my diet January 2013. I also eliminated dairy and soy products as they lead to excess estrogen in the body which feeds fibroids.

By November 2013, I was ready to persue iui again. We discovered my fibroid had grown back by november almost to the original size. I was so angry and frustrated at this point that my DH and I decided to go through with the iui anyway. We figured there was some clear space in the cavity and maybe an egg could implant there (looking back and reading some of your stories, this was a bad decision and a waste of money) The iui did not work and I was once again scheduled for surgery December 27, 2013. This time I decided to have the myomectomy via robot. My gyno called me December 26 2013 to cancel the appointment. Apparently my anemia had finally caught up with me and my pre op blood work showed a hemoglobin of 6.8. Way to low for surgery. I was again heartbroken because my DH and I were looking forward to going into 2014 in recovery and hopefully able to concieve within the first half of the year.

Within a couple weeks, I picked my self up and began this journey anew. I went to see a pcp who tested my hemoglobin during my annual physical. He referred me to a hemotologist who then recommended 6 cycles of iron infusion one per week for the next six weeks. After careful thought I decided I would not wait another two months to have my surgery rescheduled so I called and rescheduled my surgery with my gyno for 2/28/2013. I had one iron infusion completed 2/24/2013. not to mention I had been taking a iron supplement for the past six months but doubled my efforts starting December 28, 2013.

To sum it up, my pre op hemoglobin was an 8.5, I was given two bags of blood prior to surgery. I had the scheduled myomectomy with the assist of the Divinci Robot. Surgery lasted 3-4 hours. One 5 by 5 fibroid was removed, it was in the cavity and deeply embeded in the wall of my uterus (3 layers of muscle). I went home the same day although I was told i would likely have to stay overnight. I am currently 7 days post op and optimistic!!

Just need some encouragement and/or success stories...

3 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Wow! 42 TTC #1. It's been a long journey fir me as well. I had 4 laproscopies from August to December at Emory. It was supposed to be 1 or 2 but fibroid was larger than expected and most of it was buried in the wall and was not visible on the hsg. I was told that most of it is now gone and I have two smaller ones which are not in the way. I did not recover well after the last one. The estrogen pills made me hemorrhage really bad I had to go to the ER by ambulance several times. My hemoglobin count was as low as 8. I recovered quickly after I stopped the estrogen with the progesterone pills and tried naturally in March and April.

I am now going to do the iui. Day 1 of my cycle will likely be tommorow and I start clomid on Tuesday. I felt very discouraged. I started trying 5 years ago . I feel more optimistic now that I've seen your story.

9 years ago

Hi, I know this original message is almost 3 yrs old. I wanted to share my experience and just to say I hope you all found some peace during your journeys.

I'm 36. Just had a laparotomy myomectomy one week ago today on 3rd April 2017. I had a 6cm submucosal fibroid removed from within my uterine cavity that was also blocking my right tube. In addition a very small fibroid behind the above mentioned was removed and a 3rd discovered during the procedure near my cervix could not be removed but my doc wasn't concerned with its effects on conception or implantation. When I go for my 6 week all clear I'll hear more about it.

I only discovered my fibroid when one month my period just didn't stop. I've always had clockwork, regular cycles: 27-28 days, 6-7 days of bleeding, minor dull cramps, regular ovulation. Then during my February of 2017 cycle day 7 of bleeding turned into day 9, then 12, then 14. Only after a US was it discovered. In hindsight I realized that my periods were getting heavier in the past 3-4 cycles with flooding occurring every cycle.

Now here I am, waiting for the 6 weeks all clear to hopefull start trying again with a positive outcome as we had just started to ttc our first in January before my fibroid was discovered.

Praying for everyone.

Lil 10/28/17 User image

7 years ago

Neomasie. I recently had a miscarriage due to fibroid. Had surgery May 3rd. Please let me know if you have been successful TTC. I'm 34 and have 2 boys 10 years apart. Started having problems with cycle becoming irregular and heavy lasting 7-10 days. OB stated the changes were due to me getting older. Fibroid was found when I sent to ER for miscarriage. Back on my journey to conceive.

6 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo