Community post

Discussion

OPD - Obsessive pregnancy disorder. Why not.

Diagnosing myself with my own made up disorder. Because I am absolutely 100% obsessed with getting pregnant. It starts like this :
Week 1: Period. This is the most depressing day of the month. It is the one day you want to cry and punch and kick and beat yourself up. But not before you convince yourself its spotting. That is until the red flows. Then you have a conversation with yourself about giving up and that next month won't be like this. You will tell yourself to forget about TTC and next month AF won't phase you like this.
Week 2: give me the D. Demand more from hubby than he can keep up with and make him regret wishing for a freak in bed. All week long. Way before O, just because why not, give me all the little swimmers I can take. The more the merrier. Standing on your head, putting pillows under your ass, hips in the air. Whole nine yards. You tell yourself how relaxing it will be to "not stress" about getting that deposit in for the next 2 weeks. Too bad the TWW is the worst part of it all.
Week 3: Starts out great. No baby on the mind, life goes back to normal. For a few days anyway. Until 3 more friends tell you they are pregnant. You see a pregnant girl at the mall and a guilty form of jealousy takes over and that little baby obsessed seed starts to grow in your mind. Then you start to feel a little yucky. So you open the Internet and pull up that same list of symptoms you do every month. that's where it all begins. You start searching for every desperate symptom that you might possibly have, then you start feeling nauseous, dizzy, and suddenly want chocolate ice cream. All of a sudden you feel a flood of every symptom on the list and once again you convince yourself "I must be pregnant". Let the fun begin. As the week progresses so do my made up symptoms. Because logically I must be peeing so often because there is baby on board, has absolutely nothing to do with the coffee this morning. *eyeroll*
Week 4: A cramp!! Holy a cramp!! Obviously implantation right, because no chance it would ever just be a simple fart, or poop cramp. It's got to be implantation. So now it's time to start wiping before we pee. Sticking our fingers where they don't belong. And playing with bodily fluids on our fingers and observing it in every way. All of a sudden this CM, whatever kind it may be, is pregnancy cm. Always. It can't just be, normal. According to my mind. By this time you are just as stressed as you were at this point, last cycle. And the one before that. And that. And so on. Then the real cramping begins. You wake up and feel cramps, but no, these are "different". Twinges, pulling, definitely not period of course. that goes on until your chest starts to swell. Oh wow, boobies, must be preggo. Everything boils down to those 3 words. Must. Be. Pregnant. So it goes on...and on....until you are crying at that commercial with the cute cat playing with a string. Pregnant hormones. Yup. Gotta be. This is the longest week of the 4. Each day feeling like an eternity, and trying to fight that gravitational pull towards the drawer full of sticks to pee on. Yes, we get way too excited about peeing on a stick. So that's fun. And then....Dun dun dun daaaaah....... AF shows her pretty little face. Now it is time to start all over. Convincing yourself you won't get this obsessed and disapointed next time. Crying because you told yourself not to do this and subconsciously your mind and body always takes you back. Setting yourself high up on that throne of hope only to have so far to drop when you fall off.

Trapped on that emotional rollercoaster called TTC.

10 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

This sounds very familiar!!! It's a vicious cycle, if you tell your brain that you must be pregnant then you can actually convince it to go release a bunch of hormones that create pregnancy symptoms! And then of course you are even more convinced that you are pregnant! It really happens, I looked it up last month when something similar happened to me. I was so sure this had to be the month, and even more so when more and more symptoms started popping up. I was two weeks late and I am always completely regular, when of course

So this month, no stressing or obsessing or even thinking about it! I'll expect AF exactly on time and if I'm late, only then will I think about the possibility.

yeah, easier said than done!!

10 years ago

It is quite vicious cycle indeed. And the worst part of all is that growing up we were all under the impression that even if a man did the deed from ten feet across the room you would get pregnant. He could come on a rock, and girl, you gonna end up pregnant. What the heck?? Spent my whole life avoiding that and now the time comes to actually WANT it and it is the hardest thing in the world. Not to mention all those lucky ladies out there that TTC the first month and succeed! (congrats to all, but jealousy will always be in the back of my mind) Or those that use protection and still end up pregnant....and here I am standing on my head and making hubby lay with me for 5 minutes after and still can't be successful with it. Sigh. If only every woman's body were the same!

10 years ago • Post starter

I know exactly what you mean, I was warned so often about getting pregnant from being with a guy just once, or when I was on the pill if I forgot for two days it was like a huge possibility and now we find out that chances of successful conception are ridiculously low!!! I don't know how anyone ever manages to have babies when even if you are ovulating and you BD each fertile day you only have like 20% chance of the egg getting a sperm to hit it, then once that happens it is like 50/50 for the fertilised egg to implant!!! It sounds impossible, and to think women for hundreds of years have just been sitting back and letting it happen. And even now there are so many unexpected pregnancies, it just doesn't make sense! Sigh...

10 years ago

This is possibly the best thing I've ever read! haha. Seriously we're all just crazy. But try having a 36-39 day cycle so that whole monster crazy person lasts even longer :/ No fun at all. I got pregnant at 17 with our son and it sure didn't seem to be any problem then, but now only 4 years later it's been 3 months and I'm 8 dpo.. we shall see.

John (24) & Amanda (21) Married since 01/30/2010 John Paul born 04/28/10 9lbs 14 oz & 21 1/2 inches long Praying for pink!! User Image

10 years ago

Thanks for this. I must have OPD too! It's been a rollar coaster!!!! I'm in tww hell right now .. I'm trying to remain calm as I approach AF due date. Lots of luck to you!!!!

Jacks

10 years ago

I still laugh when I think back to being 18 and hubbys rubber broke. We were freaking, so unbelievably convinced that it would make me pregnant. I understand why they try to jam it in young girls heads that it is super duper easy so don't even take the risk, but they should be a little more realistic so that when the time comes to TTC we are not all running around like little psychopaths those first few months thinking we are pregnant. Now the thought of a rubber just makes me chuckle. I guess it all depends on the woman. I knew a girl in school that got pregnant her first time ever having sex. Bet that changed her thoughts on it a bit........ Lol

This so great! We start to take everything and ourselves so serious that need a laugh. I know that the last time AF came i was so devastated and felt almost inadequate as a women and a wife. I know that things take time (patients has never been a strong suit for me), but this is exactly the kind of things that i need to read so that i know that i am not a lone in all this. Thank to all!

User Image

10 years ago

I know this all too well!! Lol right now I am peeing in a cup 3x a day with the hopes of catching that LH surge!!! I have never been so obsessed with pee before in my life it's almost like I am a drug addict waiting for my next fix!! Terrible I know..... I am so obsessed with these OPK's that I didn't just buy one brand oh no had to buy two different kinds just to make sure the one wasn't lying to me!!! Lol I have been TTC for 6 months by means of letting nature take it's course finally decided after last months visit from AF to try and take matters into my own hands!! Fingers crossed that all this playing with pee pays off!! Good luck ladies and glad to see I am not the only crazy TTC lady out there!!! Baby dust to all!!

10 years ago

Seriously, HOW annoying is it to think that countless people are doing this BY ACCIDENT?! Happened to my mother, two cousins, my brother and who knows how many other people close to me. I spent 8 years diligently taking my birth control, freaking out if I missed a day. Hell, one time I did miss a day AND the condom broke, so I took Plan B, while on BC! Geez. Now I've gone through a 3 month "birth control cleanse" and am buying lube that costs twice as much as the cheap stuff, inserting softcups into my vagina after sex, propping my hips up on a pillow and bawling my eyes out every time that bitch AF shows up. *sigh* I'm onto cycle #3 of trying.

Oh, and how hard are the rest of you working to keep the sex interesting? I remember one night when we were dating, DH and I had sex 7 times...SEVEN . In ONE night! Now when sex is absolutely necessary, we're lucky if we can wrestle up the energy to to it once every other day Can I switch back to my 19 year old body with my 27 year old responsibilities and resources? UGH!

This post was exactly what I needed. Baby dust to all, but in the mean time, here's to enjoying sushi and cosmos for one more week!

User Image

10 years ago

Been trying for 14 months this month so most certainly time to visit a doctor. The one thing I had always hoped would never need be. I am only 21 so my young Lil body should be doing its thing so now to go a bit further and find out why it's not. And yes it is frustrating to watch people go from "I'm expecting" to "going into labor" only to know you have been trying longer than they have even carried...feels like an eternity. Nothing like that feeling of "what if I can't do what a woman is meant to do" . I don't know about yall but I have always had this preconceived idea of "I cant get pregnant" but still thought it was all in my head and as soon as I tried to get pregnant i would be proven wrong. Well, that has yet to happen. Adoption,ivf,all that stuff is great, but I think we all long to be able to do it..the "normal" way for lack of better term. Oh well, if worst comes to worst, I will get 15 cats and live in the forest with all the animals. Yep. And maybe get a sloth. Yeah....

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo