Community post

Discussion

TTC 13 months, male infertility, IVF approved, any advise?

Hi all,

We've had quite a year! I had an ovarian cyst removed last November and mild endometriosis found, we'd already been trying for some months so when we continued to fail to get pregnant after this, I always assumed it was my fertility issues. But we did SA tests for my husband anyway... And they came back very poor morphology, lower count and motility. Had all my tests and examinations at fertility clinic and turns out im all good to go now. So we've been given go ahead for IVF, ICSI in fact. Got an appointment in August, then they said should start process 4-6 weeks after that. I'm pleased it's moving forward but sad that we're here, that we're one of those IVF couples, you never see that in your future when you're younger.

We're still trying naturally, the doctor said we do have a slim chance. I'm accepting it now but as I said, feel sad although positive too. My sister and brother in law have just had a baby a week ago, through IVF (my husbands brother. Also male fertility issues), could it be genetic for them both?

And my best friend just found out she's pregnant, I'm being the loving happy friend I should be outwardly but when she says things like 'it's so surreal after all the disappointment' (they tried for three months with no fertility issues), I bite my tongue and smile but inside I want to cry!

Anyway I just needed a share! I would love to buddy up and support with anyone else going through this (and hear from anyone with advice who's been there). Does anyone know about improving sperm morphology? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this xxx

2 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

My husband and I have been TTC for 15 months. We have also received the bad news that he has low morphology (0%). Fortunately he has a high count, and good motility, but his swimmers just can't get into my eggs... We've see an RE, and we've also been told that we will need to do ICSI IVF. We're giving it a few more months of natural tries, but I think we'll probably do to the procedure in the beginning of next year. It's a very difficult decision to make, like you said, because you never imagine yourself being one of the people that this happens to... I'm not sure if low morph is a genetic disorder or not, but my husband's brother and his wife had a baby in December, and they had only TTC for two months, so I know they don't have any problems.

I have done TONS of research on ways to naturally improve my husband's morphology. We saw a Urologist, and he was told that he has a very small vericocele, but because his other factors were ok, the doctor seriously doubted that this was the cause of the low morph. I've got DH on vitamin C, D, B, fish oil, and a men's daily vitamin, but recently I read a blog about a couple with the same issue, and added some other things. She said that she put her husband on CoQ-10 and Men's Fertilaid and they got their BFP via IUI. We will not being doing an IUI because they are terribly expensive at our doctor's office, but my OB prescribed me 3 months of Clomid (I don't have ovulation problems, but we're hoping this will make me release more than one egg to give us better chances), and I put my DH on the CoQ-10 and Fertilaid. I'm going to wait three months for these things to get into his system and regenerate the sperm, and then I'm going to take the Clomid. We're also going to use Pre-seed and Softcups those cycles to give us the best chance possible. If these don't work, we will do the IVF. I know it sounds extreme, but I really really don't want to do the IVF lol.

I really hope you get your natural BFP before your appointment, but if you don't, I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well for you. I know how difficult this is, and also how hard it is on the guys. I don't know about your husband, but mine did not take the news well, and still, every once in a while, he'll get really down on himself because he thinks it's his fault. I really feel terrible for him...

User Image

8 years ago

Hey rpope, thank you for your reply! Sounds like we're in a pretty similar situation. I'm assuming you're in the US? will you need to pay for your IVF? We're very lucky here in the UK that our NHS gives us one round of IVF free so it's maybe less difficult to decide to go ahead without the financial issue. I don't want to even think ahead about what if it doesn't work. I can't put that pressure on, perhaps itll worry me more at the time?

My husband has been on every supplement going since March but his second recent SA was the same unfortunately, it's so frustrating it's not a simple lifestyle change, he's healthy, fit and we think we're going the right things now, the one thing we haven't totally changed is alcohol, we're not major high drinkers but we drink, so I'm going to approach that idea with him this week, suggest we don't drink for a few months?

That's interesting about the vericule, you know I don't think my husband has had a physical exam for that? It that how they find them? I'll mention that at our next appointment.

I hope you get a BFP this year too. Please keep me posted on how you get on Xx

8 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo