Community post

Discussion

Cycle buddy?

Hi all
AF showed her nasty face today :-( so the cycle begins again... Anyone want be be cycle buddy / share stories / provide each other support who also started again today?
x

5 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

Hi there. I've got the blood tonight, so I'm in a similar situation. Don't know though whether our cycles are alike, mine has been jumping a bit lately between 29 and 32, and the last one was 38 days. :-(

It doesn't hurt to share stories though. How long have you been TTC?

I've been trying for 8 months now to no avail. Feels like it's never going to happen. It's so unfair that girls who don't want kids get accidentally pregnant sometimes despite contraception, and girls who want kids and are doing everything possible for it have to wait for months or years. :-(

8 years ago

Hi hali17

Sorry to hear it. I haven't been trying as long as you. I came off the pill in February and we thought we'd just 'see what happens' but nothing did so last month I tried to work out ovulation etc. still nothing. I'm thinking of trying ovulation kits this coming month because my cycle seems to change each month. It's actually getting shorter. For a while it was 28-30 days but this month it was just 26. So I am a bit confused as to when I would have ovulated.

It's hard this month. I got very upset after my period came and my husband and I had an almighty row about how obsessive I've become. He keeps just saying 'it'll happen when it happens' and that being stressed about it will only make it take longer. I know he's right but I can't seem to stop thinking about it.

Have you seen a doctor at all? Do you have poly cystic ovaries? I know one of my ovaries is polycystic and that is why my cycle isn't always regular. But the doctor said I had to try for a year before they considered something might actually be wrong.

Are you doing anything to help you? I bought 'conception plus' - a lube that doesn't kill off sperm. And I'm taking conception support (boots brand) although I'm pretty sure that doesn't help get preg, but would stop the baby from developing a disease if I did get preg. Aside from that is take any tips that you've read about / know about that might help?

Sometimes just reading other women's stories helps, as it makes me realise other people are going through the same thing. I agree with you that it's so unfair accidental pregnancy happens at all and then when we put in the effort nothing happens. But it will one day. Just hopefully sooner rather than later.
X

8 years ago • Post starter

From what I've read some girls don't ovulate for a while after coming off the pill, but it's supposed to normalise in couple of months, so you definitely shouldn't worry just yet about your cycle shifting a bit. Sorry to hear about your situation with polycystic ovaries, can't they do anything about it?

I don't know whether I have any problems yet. Went to my doctor last month, she gave me referrals to few blood tests and an ultrasound, so I'll find out in couple of months whether I'm fine or not. Usually they wait for a year, but I insisted that it doesn't make much sense to wait: if there is a problem, we'd rather find out sooner, and if there isn't a problem, at least we'll have a peace of mind. My doctor agreed. It helps that most of the pregnancy-related tests are free in New Zealand, but I'm paying a lot for a pelvic ultrasound. What's your situation, do you have a choice to do the tests despite your doctor's wishes? My doctor said about 20% of all couples have infertility problems, but almost all of them are easy to fix once they are diagnosed. Sounds weird to me that they still want to wait a year... I guess, it's to save money.

I decided not to time ovulation, we have sex often at almost all times, so it doesn't make a big difference to know exactly what day did it happen.
What I do is I take folic acid and iodine supplements to help baby develop if I get pregnant. Is that the conception help you are talking about? If not, you probably want to at least start on folic acid, from what I've read it is crucial for early development... I'll google boots conception support, thanks for the hint!

<It's hard this month. I got very upset after my period came and my husband and I had an almighty row about how obsessive I've become. He keeps just saying 'it'll happen when it happens' and that being stressed about it will only make it take longer. I know he's right but I can't seem to stop thinking about it. >
Same here! It is so hard not to concentrate on the failure... everyone says: "don't think about it, and it will happen on its own", but I personally have no idea how not to think. They make it sound so easy... I had almost a week of delay this time, and test kept showing "negative", it was the hardest week so far - when you don't allow yourself to hope, and its like time has stopped. Couldn't do much until AF came, then got upset, but now I look forward to the next time.
I think it's perfectly normal to become obsessive, it's a big thing, and it is so frustrating not to know what is going on in your body, why doesn't it work as you wish.
You know what helps me? Reading books like "Chicken soup for expectant mom" and different pregnancy books. I kinda live through it and let part of the obsession out. Hope you'll be fine and get a baby soon, it's no fun to be this frustrated for long!

Good news is we can now relax for two weeks and just enjoy life and our husband's company, before the nervous two weeks of waiting begin.))

8 years ago

The amazing thing is, knowing I'm not preg stressed me out loads at first, but then - as you said - everything became easier this last week as I already knew I wasn't - and there was no chance I could be, so I could just enjoy life and get on with it. I even let myself have a few drinks at a BBQ at the weekend!

Bought an ovulation kit so I am going to start poas from Thursday. So weird. I can't think it'll help that much though, as last month we dtd every day for 2 weeks and that didn’t help. Unless doing it too much is a problem…I don’t know – maybe I’m overthinking it all!

Conception support is just a mix of folic acid, zinc and vitamin b6. Apparently in the correct amounts for someone ttc. Or maybe it’s just a more expensive way of selling those to naïve (desperate) women like me who will do anything! Probably the tesco own brand folic acid would be exactly the same…

As for the other stuff, I was told that as I only have one polycystic ovary, it may not affect my fertility. As I said, though, my dr told me no tests are carried out unless you have been trying for a year. I haven’t forced the issue yet, but I don’t know if I will be able to anyway – it’s all done on the NHS, which is brilliant, but very slow…

Luckily age isn’t a problem yet. I am 29 and my husband’s 30 so we are not too worried yet…we’ll see whether I begin to worry more in 3 months’ time after the dreaded birthday..!

I just wish it would all hurry up and happen already!

8 years ago • Post starter

Funny enough, I'm 29 myself, and it's part of the reason I am worried and decided not to wait for a full year of trying before pushing for tests. It is irrational - my doctor said, that with modern medicine it is a normal age to get pregnant... but in my culture girls start having kids around 24 (I'm talking about girls with careers, those without - even earlier), and 30 for a first pregnancy sounds pretty late, when you want few kids. So cultural codes get the best of me, haha...

Glad you feel better and can enjoy life now. :-) I have a rule, that when I know I am definitely not pregnant, I eat sushi with raw fish, and after ovulation I stop until AF shows up. So it's like a little win that makes the big "lose" better.

Got it about the conception support! So you have folic acid, B6 and zinc, and I have folic acid and iodine. I guess folic acid is ultimately the most important thing, so we are both fine. :-)

8 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo