Community post

Discussion

Advice on getting levels checked, US, etc

I got a BFP at my primary care's office yesterday (1.8.13) but have been spotting for about a week - very minimal, almost all brown. I went to my MW yesterday to check things out b/c I'm RH negative. She said it didn't look like the blood was coming out of my cervix, but beyond that, couldn't really give me much info. They did a blood draw and I got my levels today which are a little low according to date of LMP, but I always ovulate really late in my cycle so I know I wouldn't be as far along as LMP would show. So anyway, they wanted me to come back in to check my levels again but I feel like that is just going to start this cycle of constant checking levels, US, etc - is there really any point to that? I don't want to not go if it could be important but they can't do anything if I miscarry, right? Anyway with a similar situation would recommend just waiting until a certain point or continuing to check? And at what point should they be able to see a heartbeat? I don't really want to get an US until then.

4 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

You're correct that there's nothing a doctor or checking levels can do if a mc is imminent. I'm sorry your having to deal with this and I hope all works out for the best. Do what you feel comfortable with.

I had a very early mc last cycle. I got my bfp at 10 dpo and started having brown cm about every other day since, especially when I had a Bm. I never called my dr or had levels checked I just waited it out. I figured the spotting would stop and I'd be able to make my 8 week appointment or mc/AF would start. Full flow started on 24dpo. On the bright side I am now 6 weeks pregnant and so far things are going well.

User Image

10 years ago

The reson they draw levels is because they are suppose to double ever 48 hrs and if they aren't then it's not a viable pregnancy. It's the only way to predict early pregnancy loss because that early nothing would even show up on an ultrasound. Best of luck :)

User Image

10 years ago

I agree that not having the testing is actually far less stressful. You are right nothing can be done either way. I went through precisely your situation in April last year. Spotting didn't start until I was about 6 weeks along but my HCG was already a bit lower than it should have been. We had blood tests and scans about every week for a while before I miscarried at 10 weeks. I spent so many hours in hospital waiting rooms. We decided that when we get pregnant again (thinking positive!) we are going to try and avoid all the scans and checks as much as possible. The less stress the better!

I really hope things go okay for you. I read a lot about bleeding at the time and if it stops then as long as it doesn't start again you are likely to be fine.

10 years ago

So how did everything turn out? With my mmc in 2012 i didn't start bleeding until 6 weeks. Lost the baby at 8 weeks. I got pregnant again in October 2013 (got my bfp on Halloween) but started bleeding on 11/4/13. My hcg was 12 and progesterone was only at 0.6. So it's obvious my body doesn't produce progesterone. We tried again right away and got my bfp on thanksgiving. Ended up bleeding on the day af was due (12/2/13). I got my bfp again on 1/23/14 and got my hcg checked on 1/24. It was only 7 (which I don't understand how I got an extremely faint bfp on wondfo and frer on 1/23). I started bleeding heavy bright red blood on 1/24 after my hcg draw. I thought it was another chemical. I had a "follow-up" on 1/29/14 to make sure hcg was back at 0. They called me on 1/30 and told me it went up to 21. Not nearly where it should be but I stopped my progesterone and prenatal on 1/24 thinking it was another chemical. The bleeding stopped the next day and am now starting to feel pregnant. So, hoping that the hcg more than tripled when I go back on Wednesday (2/5). Not getting my hopes up too high, but going to try to stay positive. I'm really wondering how everything turned out with all you ladies.

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo