Community post

Discussion

HSG-What to expect

Hi There!

Well, after much deliberation, fretting, sleepless nights, and hiding, I FINALLY took the plunge and got the HSG done. Now that I have been through the experience, I can share with you my findings. First off, I am SO GLAD I went through with it! For me, it was instant bliss. I found out that I am functioning normally and that there are no problems in my uterus or my tubes! So, just for that piece of mind in our TTC journey, I am glad I went!
Unfortunately, I put off this test for over a year. Why? You ask? Oh, I will tell you why! My Google searches for HSG, that's why! When I preformed an innocent Google Search for the Hysterosalpingogram, I found things like "worse than child birth" and "screaming pain." If you are anything like me, that is scary. I HATE any and every medical procedure, so that was all I needed to high tail out of the idea.
I switched to a new doctor and he assured me that I could do it and that he would be the one delivering the procedure and would talk me through it. So, I just went for it. My dh had to go through some crappy procedures, so I thought it was the least I could do. So, day of the procedure comes around and I was VERY nervous and nauseous. I went in and put on the gown and sat on the medical table. I tried to pretend that I did not see all the scary medical equipment on the table next to me. I just took a deep breath (and had taken a calming pill that DID NOT WORK!) and put my feet in the stirrups. The first uncomfort I had was the same as a GYN visit, the "shoe horn" inserted hurt as I was very tense. Next, he told me that he was going to numb my cervix. I felt a pain similar to passing a clot on my period. After that, for a few minutes I felt nothing but pressure as he inserted the cathedar and the clamp. After that, he warned me that he was going to go ahead and administer the radioactive fluid. It did hurt. On a scale of 1-10 it was a 5.5. It was less pain than bad cramps, but it was also a different kind of burning pain that my body was not used to. It initially scared me pretty bad, so I began to hyperventalate. THe pain increased to about a 7 when I had to lay on each side. The total time I was in pain: 3 minutes. It was very quick. I do know that my tubes were not blocked, so I am guessing the people who are reporting intense pain are those with tube issues. I was blessed that I did not have that, so I do not mean to act like it may not hurt worse for some, I am just sharing my experience in hopes that it will help others gain the courage to do this test. Here are the reasons you should do it:
1. It is quick. If it hurts, it will be about the time that it takes to sing a short song. Count, think of something else, or whatever it takes to relax as this is happening.
2. It will tell you what is going on in there.
3. It may unblock a blocked tube and increase your chances in your TTC journey. Many women have become pregnant after this test.
I hope that you find the courage to get this test done. You will feel so much better when it is all over. Good luck to you! You can do it! God bless! :)

User Image

1 Reply • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

I had that test done as well & had no comic actions. The dr told me to take some Advil before coming in. I felt some slight cramping before & after the procedure, but nothing worse than period cramps. FYI, a lot of people say you get pregnant after this test & I hope you do, but I didn't.

Dot

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo