Community post

Discussion

I thought getting pregant was a piece of cake

I've been married for a year and three months. Even before we got married, we decided that after we hit the 1 year anniversary, we will start trying for a baby.

I spent every month of the entire year "worried" I may get pregnant, as I did not use birth control pills, we used condoms only. I spent the 6 months before our anniversary eating right, seeing a gynecologist, making sure everything was in check, detoxing, taking folic acid and a multi vitamin, charting every month to pinpoint my ovulation, checking CM, trying to find patterns in my cycles, etc.

On the mark of our anniversary, we started trying to conceive and in my mind, I thought getting pregnant was simple. I know when I ovulate so all we need to do is have sex 4 days prior to ovulation and the day of ovulation. first month of TTC, I was convinced I was pregnant but when AF arrived, I was beyond disappointed. My husband was convinced I was pregnant as well as I was constantly telling him of my pregnancy symptoms.

2nd month of TCC, I got my period. I wasn't as disappointed as the first month and I tried really hard not to talk about the symptoms to my husband in fear I would get his hopes up again.

I'm on my 3rd month of TTC and I'm 8dpo today, I am trying to hold off testing till at least 12dpo. I don't have many symptoms except shooting pain in my breasts that lasted 3 days, on and off. Ovary pressure and pains here and there, some sharp pains in my abdomen, feeling irritable/angry all the time, bloated and gassy... but I've had all of those in the last two months as well.

My husband is going for a semen analysis today, just to make sure everything is ok on his side.

Is anyone in the same boat as me?

6 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

congratulations on your wedding!

In my experience, actively trying took longer than not trying at all. Fortunately, we didn't run into any infertility issues and I conceived on cycle 4.

Your pulls, pains, and twinges sound promising, but like you said, certain pains are common before AF. Most women conceive naturally within the first 12 months, so hold hope that it's just a matter of time.

Best wishes to you! FX for your BFP!

~Kristie Hoping the stork brings a in Fall 2014 or Summer 2015! But TOTALLY ok with another We just want a healthy baby! Unexpected O around 1/29 SO...FX!! I got my on the day I set my ticker for! EDD from O 10/23/14! User Image (early & cautious) BFP 2/7/14!!!!! User Image

10 years ago

Thanks Baby Fever! I know for a healthy couple it could take up to 12 months but the anticipation and wait is a killer.

Congrats on conceiving on cycle 4, how were you maintaining your stress levels during the first 3 cycles?

10 years ago • Post starter

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you although I was on the pill for the first 2 years of my marriage. We agreed we'd try after 2 years and I naively thought it would 'just happen'.

Everything you were taught as a teenager led you to believe that pregnancy was an imminent danger and would happen at the very hint of physical contact with a man- even putting a pair of your boyfriend's boxer-shorts in the laundry was almost certain to result in an baby!!

Like you, after coming off the pill I went for pre-conception check-ups and have been taking vitamins for months, eating well and avoiding alcohol etc etc- basically living as a pregnant woman even though I'm not.

I have wasted an absolute fortune on ovulation sticks and pregnancy tests to try to figure out what's going in inside me and have done all the charts etc!
This month I'm 3 days late so far but with negative tests and it's driving me crazy.

Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you xx

10 years ago

Mrs. Hartley, how long have you been actively trying?

Sending baby dust your way! FX for you this month. I hope this month is the month!

10 years ago • Post starter

I stopped taking the pill in early September and have had 3 'natural' periods following the 'fake' one. I'm expecting my 4th any time now but so far it has stayed away.
In Sept. and Oct. although I was off the pill, we didn't 'really try'- I thought it would be a good idea to let my cycles get back to being regular first and he was away in the middle of the month etc. so I'm not particularly surprised I didn't get pregnant then. But since late October I've been making sure we're ticking all the boxes- using ovulation tests, keeping a calendar etc. etc.
I thought my cycles were back to normal- 25 days then 28 then 28 days again. But today I'm on day 32. It could definitely be that my periods are still not regular yet- that is the most likely explanation as the HPTs have all been neg. and I have no real pregnancy symptoms. But when you're trying to conceive and AF is late you can't help but hope....!

Good luck! Thinking of you. It's a great comfort to have other ladies experiencing the same- makes me feel less crazy! xxx

10 years ago

You and are in the exact same boat! We just celebrated our one year on 10/13/13 and are doing the same thing! I'm 9/10dpo. I've been off of bc since 2010 due to health issues (Factor V â?? makes it hard to get pregnant and stay pregnant), so we have only been using condoms this whole time, and now that we have the big green light to go for it...I'm getting very discouraged about how hard it seems to be to get pregnant. I am 29 and so is they hubby, itâ??s hard for me to be happy with people who just â??happenâ?? to get pregnant without trying or taking the right steps to prepare their body for a baby. Vitamins and fish oils and not eating crap and cutting out pop. AF is supposed to show 22/23 and I am crossing my fingers that she doesnâ??t show. I donâ??t think that I have any pregnancy symptoms right now, I am SUPER tired but Iâ??ve had a cold so, who knows. Period symptoms usually start to show about now but they also seem to be aloof.
Anyways, know that you are not alone â?? right there with ya!! GL and baby dust to you!!

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo