Community post

Discussion

Doctor is sending me directly to hormone injections!

Hello All,

My husband and I are both 37 years old. We've been TTC since March (10 cycles) but nothing has happened yet. Because of our age we've already visited the fertility doctor to figure out what's up. Hubby does have low sperm mobility but a descent count. I, on the other hand, seem to have normal indications of FSH (5.6) and TSH (1.76) but a low progesterone (20.7 nmol/lt).
I thought that in my case I would only need progesterone intake (cream, pills) but this doctor is taking me directly to the daily injections of hormones and before that he also wants to pass a fluid in the tubes to see if they are open (I've heard that this is quite painful). Now, do you ladies think that all this is a bit drastic? Is all this that he proposed normal? My heart has sunk since my meeting with him.
Thank you for your time!

1 Reply • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

The hsg test is pretty routine before starting any treatments at a fertility center because what would be the point in making you ovulate if the eggs can't get through? I had absolutely no problems with the hsg. It was comparable to a pap smear for me. Women who experience pain with the hsg may have a lower pain tolerance, a tilted cervix that's harder to get to or someone inexperienced performing the test. I thought it was interesting watching the dye being injected and go through the tubes on the u/s monitor so that distracted me a lot.

I only did 1 round of clomid before moving on to the injectables. Wanting to move straight to injectables might be due to your age. Did you have your amh levels checked? That would tell you how your egg reserve is doing. Late 30's is when egg reserve will really start to decrease and with it egg quality so they may want to get you moving as quickly as possible for that reason. It is also easier to control your ovulation with the injectables. If you take clomid and don't produce a mature follicle you have to abandon the cycle and wait for the next month which completely sucks. On the injectables if you aren't producing a mature follicle they just increase the dose and you keep going. So it could just be for the reason of being able to better control the cycle.

The injectables really aren't bad unless you are petrified of needles. I didn't like getting shots at all but for some reason I find the injectables really easy to do. The first injection I did I didn't know how much force to use so I closed my eyes and really jammed it in there and then I was like "hmmm I barely felt that, that wasn't so bad after all!"

It all sounds pretty normal for going to a fertility clinic. I experienced pretty much the same protocol and I was 26 when I started so it may have absolutely nothing to do with age.

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo