Community post

Discussion

Can anyone offer a first timer some advice?

My husband and I are trying for our first baby. I had been on the contraceptive pill for 12 years and came off it in September. Call me naive but I just assumed I'd have fell pregnant straight away.

So, after being on the pill for years and pretty much choosing when to take my periods, I am just getting to know my monthly cycle. From using calculators online, it looks like my cycle is 27 days. I've bought some ovulation tests, to try to help when I will ovulate, but does anybody have a rough idea how many days after your period ends you would normally ovulate? My period just finished yesterday and every month it last a full 7 days.

Also, I've heard all the old wives tails about keeping your legs in the air etc after doing the deed, but can things like that actually help?

I'm so excited and nervous at the same time, and just really want to be pregnant without having to wait!!! I'm so impatient. Does anyone else feel like that? Or can anyone offer me any advice? xx

4 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

Average woman ovulates on cycle day 14 , making it safe to say 13-15... but you need to start testing at cycle day 9 just in case! Most test kits come with 10 tests so u should be covered! Just count the first day of your period as cycle day one. Also look for signs in your cervical mucous as it will change close to your fertile time! Most women say it looks like egg whites and is very stretchy... this cm is healthy for sperm to travel and survive making it your most fertile time!

Mill

10 years ago

we are exactly in the same boat, come off the contraceptive pill and thought id fall pregnant but no....very disappointed. So Im also getting my cycle back to normal, trying Conceive Plus this month, read lots of good stuff about it, taking multi vitamins and eating health and also excercising, phew. fingers crossed for a christmas BFP. Baby dust to you

10 years ago

Thanks Ladies, baby dust to you too!

Just went to the bathroom to take an ovulation test, but low and behold i'm still bleeding a little (sorry if TMI!)....that's now a 10 day period - although the first day and last 2 days have been very little. According to online calculators though, my fertile period starts today! It's all very confusing!

my OPK test is definitely negative! xx

10 years ago • Post starter

Everyone has different cycles - however, I'm basically on the same cycle as you. Only difference is I've never used BC before. I have a 27-28 day cycle and I usually ovulate around the 11th-13th day of my cycle. Start testing around the 9th day the first month to see when you do, but I would bet you will around the 12-14 day. I'm also TTC my first child, and I'm getting very frustrated and scared that it's not going to happen on it's own. We've been trying since August 2013, so it has not been that long people tell me, but when I have friends that are getting pregnant their first and second month of trying it's very hard for me to handle. I feel like I'm the type of person that was born to be a mother. I'm in my two week wait period now, I don't feel any different but I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worst and praying I'll see a BFP sooner than later! GOOD LUCK!!!

User Image

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo