Community post

Discussion

Slowly dropping HCG after d&c

Hi all,

First, for anybody in this situation, I am truly sorry for your devastating loss.

My story: I had a D&C on March 13 at 9 weeks and 1 day. We had seen the baby and a good heartbeat the week before at my 8 week appointment, but I started to feel like something was wrong soon after and so I demanded another ultrasound. They caved and gave me one the next week at exactly 9 weeks. My baby measured exactly 9 weeks but the heartbeat was gone- the doctor said she (chromosome testing showed a girl, Turner's syndrome) must have died that morning. :'(

This has been the most traumatic thing I've ever gone through, and it's all been made so much worse by the fact that my HCG levels are taking SO long to drop. Everything I read online (and what my doctor told me) is that most people's levels drop to 0 by 2-4 weeks after a d&c, and most people will have a period by 4-6 weeks. It's been 6 and a half weeks and my HCG was at 7 today. It was 10 a week and a half ago! Is it normal for HCG to drop this slowly?? Did it take anybody this long to reach 0?? My doctor isn't too worried but is making sure to monitor me down to 0. I can't help but feel like something must be wrong, especially since I had a saline ultrasound a week ago and it showed "something" small in there - but the doctor think it's just scar tissue or a polyp.

I just want to try and move on but it's so hard when my body isn't cooperating!

Thanks for listening and I appreciate anybody's stories!

D&C 3/13/15 @ 9 weeks, Turner's Syndrome D&C 9/25/15 @ 7 weeks, normal baby Misoprostol, 1/8/16 @ 7 weeks, Turner's Syndrome AGAIN! Me- 29, PCOS, small septum (removed), stage 3 endometriosis, homozygous MTHFR c677t, ANA + DH- 30, Low-ish count, poor morphology, varicocele TTC #1 since December 2014 January 2015- Natural BFP March 2015- m/c at 9 weeks June 2015- follistim + ganirelix + pregnyl = cancelled, overstimmed July 2015- follistim + ganirelix + pregnyl + iui = BFN August 2015- follistim + ganirelix + pregnyl + iui = BFP September 2015- No heartbeat, d&c October 2015- laparoscopy/hysteroscopy- dx = stage 3 endometriosis, small uterine septum, tubes clear November 2015- follistim + ganirelix + pregnyl = BFP January 2016- Heartbeat gone @ 7 weeks

17 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 17 Replies | Last Page

Sorry I have not gone through miscarriage but I am so very sorry for your loss. <3

Has it gone to 0 now? I realized its been 3 weeks since you've posted?

Sorry for your loss and Baby dust.

Have hope. Always trust in God. Be positive. That is what I need to remember through this journey~ Baby dust to all

8 years ago

Aww, thank you so much and thanks for replying :)

I had a hysteroscopy last week, which confirmed that whatever was in my uterus came out on its own (leftover tissue, the doc says)- So glad!

As of a week ago, my hcg was down to 2, so they stopped testing it. They said the slow drop was a combination of leftover tissue and slow hcg metabolism by my body- no fun!

Are you ttc??

D&C 3/13/15 @ 9 weeks, Turner's Syndrome D&C 9/25/15 @ 7 weeks, normal baby Misoprostol, 1/8/16 @ 7 weeks, Turner's Syndrome AGAIN! Me- 29, PCOS, small septum (removed), stage 3 endometriosis, homozygous MTHFR c677t, ANA + DH- 30, Low-ish count, poor morphology, varicocele TTC #1 since December 2014 January 2015- Natural BFP March 2015- m/c at 9 weeks June 2015- follistim + ganirelix + pregnyl = cancelled, overstimmed July 2015- follistim + ganirelix + pregnyl + iui = BFN August 2015- follistim + ganirelix + pregnyl + iui = BFP September 2015- No heartbeat, d&c October 2015- laparoscopy/hysteroscopy- dx = stage 3 endometriosis, small uterine septum, tubes clear November 2015- follistim + ganirelix + pregnyl = BFP January 2016- Heartbeat gone @ 7 weeks

8 years ago • Post starter

Aw glad its to 0 now. :) Glad all went OK.

Yes I am 6 months now but for baby no. 2 :)

Have hope. Always trust in God. Be positive. That is what I need to remember through this journey~ Baby dust to all

8 years ago

Thank you!

Good luck! I just stalked your bio and I agree - It must be so hard to stay patient after 6 months. I hate when people say "it can take up to a year"- that's SO long to wait for something you want so badly! It must be comforting to know you're able to get pregnant and have a healthy, live birth, but still SO stressful waiting month after month...

I saw an RE and it turns out I have PCOS, so I am starting on fertility meds next month if I'm not successful this month. Apparently I ovulate but not "good, strong ovulations". Do you ovulate regularly any everything? Sorry if that's personal, it's my first time posting on any site and I'm just excited to talk to somebody who is TTC! I feel like everybody I know gets pregnant right away with no problems! Lol

Its confronting but still sometimes I wonder if I still will ever get pregnant again as there is such a thing as secondary infertility. :( But then I think I probably will but who knows when :D Can be months away or even years..

Yes I ovulate fine every month as confirmed by ovulation tests, unless they're not enough to detect PCOS? How did you get diagnosed? Maybe I should go get checked out too, I heard a lot of women do have it?

No worries, I like talking about pregnancy related stuff-I find I want it even more now :)

8 years ago

I totally sympathize with your fear. It's so scary not knowing or being able to control this and guarantee that things will work out the way we want them to. :(

That's a good sign that you get positives on OPKs. A lot of people with PCOS don't (I use the digital and wondfo brand to cross-check- obsessive, I know). I always get flashing and then solid smileys on the digitals, but my wondfos always look almost positive before I finally get a positive. My LH level is really high (though apparently not high enough to stop ovulation for me). You can have an LH surge and not ovulate- but that's unlikely if you're getting your period 12-14 days after your positive OPK.

Do you chart your temp? That's really the only way to be sure you're ovulating, besides bloodwork/ultrasound.

The month I got pregnant, I went all out and used preseed lube since I don't get much cm, drank moon cycle tea every day, and completely cut out my sugar. The tea and cutting out sugar helped because of the PCOS, but I'm not so sure they would make a difference for you if you don't have any hormonal issues.

I got dx with PCOS after my miscarriage, when I demanded my doctor check my hormone levels. I've always had acne, though I'm thin and have always gotten a normal period of 32-34 days, but I had an ultrasound done for pelvic pain late last year before TTC and they told me my ovaries were polycystic. They refused to test my hormones at that time since I wasn't overweight and got a regular period. Turns out, my LH is 3x my FSH and my AMH level is super high- consistent with PCOS.

It sucks, especially if you're in your 20s and have another kid, that doctors probably wont take you seriously unless you've been trying for a year. If you're really worried about a possible hormonal issue, you could always ask your regular OB/gyn to check your hormone levels on cycle day 3 to see if you have any imbalances. That's very simple and it's where the fertility clinic would start! If nothing else, it'd give you peace of mind knowing that your hormones are fine and you MOST likely will have to continue to be super duper patient :(. But for me personally, I think after 6 months of timing everything right I would beg my doctor to run some simple tests. I'm too impatient!

Yea I have lab work due next week and on cycle day 21 as he wants me to do ...so we shall see what that provides me with. I don't really have bad pain there nor bad cramps but how could they test me for that anyways?

What exactly is pressed?

8 years ago

That's a step! For PCOS they'd do an ultrasound to look and see if you have the polycystic appearing ovaries (not everyone with PCOS has them and not everyone with them has PCOS), they'd check to see if you have signs of high androgens (acne, body hair growth, hair loss, etc), and lab work. Your CD3 labs should show an LH that's almost the same as your FSH- if the LH is significantly higher, it could mean PCOS. Also, a very high AMH is another possible indicator. My RE said if women's cycles are longer than 34 days, even if they're regular, it's a bad thing because the quality of the egg goes down with such long exposure to hormones!! Yikes

Preseed is a sperm-friendly lubricant that mimics the egg-white cm women get before ovulation. I don't get any :( so that's why I use it. It's made specifically for trying to conceive, so it doesn't kill sperm like most other lubes. I just figured it can't hurt!!

Oh okay. Hopefully lab results show whats wrong. If anything not sure. I am a 26-27 day cyle this month was 28 is that normal? I just ordered that and omega 3 vitamins too and drinking fertiltea. :) how long have u used pressed?

8 years ago

That's great! I've heard anything from 21-35 can be normal, though my RE prefers 28-30 for some reason. I think the concern with short cycles is that you COULD have a short luteal phase, which could make implantation harder, or your egg isn't maturing enough before it's released. I HIGHLY doubt that's the case with a 26-28 day cycle- that seems perfect. But it's good that you're getting the CD21 progesterone test (6-7 days after ovulation), that'll definitely tell you if you ovulated and if there's an issue with progesterone!

Ooh I never heard of fertiltea! I'll have to look into it. I drink raspberry leaf tea, too. I can't say whether it's working yet, but apparently it helps tone the uterus and regulate hormones. Omega 3s are good!! I was told by my doc to take DHA (omega 3s) and vitamin D supplements, so I'm on those too. At first I thought vitamin D was pointless, since I have it in my prenatal and I eat healthy and spend a good amount of time in the sun- but then I had my levels tested and my D was deficient! The RE said it helps with fertility and overall health.

I only used preseed the one cycle I conceived and then since I finally got my period May 2, I've been using it this cycle too. It had to have helped me conceive, since I seriously make zero cm, lol. Do you do anything else to track fertility besides OPK?

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo