Community post

Discussion

D&C or wait it out?

I just learned a few days ago that I lost my baby. I was 13 weeks to the day when I found out, and the doctor said I probably lost it at about 8-9 weeks. All this time, my belly continued to grow, and I was so happy and excited, but little did I know my baby wasn't growing at all. I've never been in so much pain, emotionally. I haven't even miscarried yet, and it's been about 4 weeks since the baby died. The doctor couldn't find the heartbeat, so I had another ultrasound, and when I looked up at the screen, unlike last time, the sac was not a smooth oval shape, it looked all squiggly, kind of like a big splat, and I didn't see anything inside. I guess my body absorbed most of the baby. I started spotting yesterday, but that's it.
The doctor is going to ask me tomorrow if I want a D&C or if I want to wait. My husband is afraid that the D&C will cause problems because he keeps reading bad things about it, but I just want it done and over with. I don't want him to be scared, and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have experience with this? Did you have any problems? Or did you get pregnant quickly after?
Also, when did your belly begin to shrink back? It's so hard every time I see or feel it.

2 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

Jayru, I have no helpful advice or experience to share but my heart is definitely with you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

User Image

8 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. I miscarried everything last year at 12 weeks but the baby had died at about 8 weeks. I chose to wait it out, so that's the only experience I can give. The cramping was like a really awful period. I didn't know it would be that bad so I went to the emergency room because I was scared something else was wrong. After checking everything & monitoring me for a little while they gave me pain killers & had my dh stay home with me.I don't regret my decision because I didn't want to get potential scar tissue (although rare). However, lots of women, including my good friend, aunt & grandma had a d&c & preferred that in order to get it over with & had no complications. Good luck with whatever you decide.

8 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo