Community post

Discussion

Is this a good response to baby shower invitations?

To anyone who has invited me to their baby shower,
First of all, I appreciate that you thought of me when planning this special day. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend your shower or anyone else's in the foreseeable future. You see, for the past 2 1/2 years, my dear husband and I have been trying, and unable, to conceive a child of our own. We have been through 8 rounds of fertility drugs so far, each of which comes with the ups and downs of hope and negative pregnancy tests. There is no way to describe the sadness one feels when failing at our most basic human instinct, to procreate.
You may think it's selfish of me, but it's not that I resent you or wish you weren't having a child...in fact, quite the opposite! I am thrilled that you are building a family and are bringing everyone together to
celebrate. I am unable to attend not because of jealousy, but because such situations only remind me of my own personal failures regarding conceiving a child. I really wish I could come, I do. But I fear that attending wouldn't be very meaningful if I have to quietly excuse myself to go cry in the car (which sometimes I do even at non-baby-related events).
I don't wish to take the focus away from your wonderful blessing. I just wanted to express how desperately I want to be there for you, but I can't. I hope you can understand.

All my love,
Leah

TTC since September 2012 User Image

4 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

Sounds perfectly pleasant and most of us can understand, even relate to your feelings. However, once your special time does come, don't be surprised if your shower is dreadfully unattended. As women and human beings, we have to know that we will not always get what we truly desire in life, even if it's the only thing we want. Life just isn't fair. My brother and his wife have been trying for five and a half years. She's perfectly fertile but his childhood medical troubles have left him almost the complete opposite. They tried and failed their first round of IVF but she's my son's godmother and now we're trying for number two, which I'm hoping she'll love just as much. I'm terrified of the day I call her to let her know we're pregnant again. However, she says that all of our happiness and her friends' success, even if it breaks her heart, reminds her why she keeps trying. You don't have to go to every baby shower but, if it's someone close enough to you that you feel you should give such a personal, indepth explanation, perhaps you should just force yourself to go to show that you support them so they'll be there to support you when your turn comes. That's just my little opinion though.

User Image

9 years ago

To be honest, I'm not sending it to anyone. I was trying to get my thoughts down since I've been invited to 3 showers in the past month. Thanks for your opinion.

TTC since September 2012 User Image

9 years ago • Post starter

I know all about that, I keep a journal. Sometimes we feel so much at once we want to burst. I'm hoping you soon have your own reason to celebrate, just hang it there!

User Image

9 years ago

I truly do understand how painful it is to want something so deeply that it hurts and to struggle with these type of events. With that said, it is extremely important for me to participate in and celebrate the joy that my friends experience. Everyone is different and I do not judge you at all we all cope in different ways. If I was invited to a baby shower tomorrow it would be hard to go so I would choose a lovely gift, I would shop for the gift that I would most like to receive and just send it with a card saying how extremely happy that I am for my friend. That way I can contribute to her joy without adding any pain for myself.

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo