Community post

Discussion

Miscarriage at 6 weeks - Feel clueless and lost

I got my BFP on 9/17. This was confirmed with blood test, however, my HCG was low. It did rise however, and at 5 weeks was at 151. On Friday, I had my 1st ultrasound appointment at 6w1d. Unfortunately, we didn't see anything and the Dr ordered another HCG level, hoping we were just too early and the HCG wasn't high enough yet. Got the results Friday night that the HCG went down to 91. I was devastated.

I actually had a nickel size amount of bright red blood when I wiped on Thursday and then around noon started spotting brown on Friday. This continued through Saturday and I even had a few clots on Saturday (no red blood though). On Sunday, I woke up with bad cramps and shortly after, started bleeding. I am having moderate amount of bleeding, with clots (usually small pieces, but have had 2 big, maybe quarter size pieces).

I guess I am just confused ... when do I consider my miscarriage? The day I started bleeding? Do you not start bleeding until your HCG is 0 (could it have dropped that much in 2 days)? When I talked to my Dr on Friday, she mentioned taking the fertility drugs again and indicated starting right away after bleeding. Of course, that phone call was a blur and I'm not sure if I just misunderstood .. but when I called to tell her I was bleeding, she went ahead and sent in the refill to the pharmacy. I guess I'm confused because everything I read says you have to wait one cycle .. which I'm not. Is this because I miscarried so early?

I'm sorry for so many questions .. I just feel so lost and don't understand what is going on with me. Just don't know the normal "process" and want to make sure I'm doing things right, but also want to try again as soon as I can. What has been your experience?

3 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

I am so so sorry for your loss. I think the only reason they want you to wait one cycle is to have correct dates when you do conceive again. I could be wrong though. Good luck to you!

10 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. I just miscarried at 5 1/2 weeks, and have been researching like crazy. From what I read in What to Expect Before You're Expecting, because we miscarried so early, we can ovulate normally because our bodies can take the bleeding as a period instead of a pregnancy loss. My doctor recommended using progesterone cream for my next cycle because my loss may have been due to a progesterone deficiency. Good luck to you and your SO whenever you decide to start ttc again :)

10 years ago

So sorry :( I miscarried at 10 weeks earlier in the year and we are still trying. Medically there is no reason to wait a cycle before trying again, as Mom2Ry said, however it is odd to start fertility meds the same cycle. I had to wait a cycle before starting on clomid.

If you were that early you might not ever know when you actually pass the embryo. With mine it was a fist sized clot of fibrous stuff so it was REALLY obvious, and the pain... But it sounds like yours might just feel more like a heavy period.

Hope this helps with your questions. Any more just ask away :)

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo