Community post

Discussion

hsg

has anyone had the procedure hsg. were they put dry into your tube to see if their block?

i'm booked in for it on 8th oct. i was wondering if it hurts?

please reply

regards
Florence

3 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Hi! I recently had an hsg done and it showed partial blockage of my left tube. I will tell you that I didn't google the procedure before I had it done, and that was a good thing for me. Since you're already here, you've probably got a overview of the whole procedure. Some doctors recommend you take ibuprofen before hand and I would check with yours before you go in. I actually had a lot of pain/cramping during the procedure, but I have heard that everyone's experience is different and it could have been because I had some blockage. Just treat it as another step to becoming pregnant and see if you can take drugs beforehand to reduce cramping. Good luck!

10 years ago

I had my first HSG on Friday. I was told to take 2 regular strength aspirin for the two days before the procedure. And then take 600-800mg of ibuprofen and the dose of antibiotics an hour or two before the procedure (with a light meal). The aspirin was to make sure I was done bleeding as I have a short cycle and they had to push the HSG to day 6 to fit it before my ovulation. The ibuprofen was to prevent muscle spasms and cramping and to lessen pain. And the antibiotics were to prevent an infection (low probability, but doc likes to play it safe).

The procedure was painful. Not giving birth painful, but really really really bad menstrual cramps painful. The placement was the most difficult part, once it was in and she stopped moving it it wasn't so bad. I had clear tubes and the pushing of the fluid didn't hurt at all for me. After they check the tubes they then try to carefully pull the balloon back into your cervix so they can fill the uterus with contract dye and see it's whole shape, without pulling the balloon back they only see the top of the uterus and the tubes. Except my balloon and cervix weren't cooperating, so the balloon either sucked back in or pulled completely out, so they had to start completely over a couple of times and replace the catheter and balloon before they could get the last picture. Yay, I had to go though the painful part over and over. Total serious pain time was about 5 minutes, but it was broken up into bits throughout the roughly hour appointment (some of that time was them explaining and answering my questions). I felt pretty crampy on the way home too, which I attributed to them poking around in there, but I've now decided that cramping was something else, read on.

The one thing I was not prepared for was the cruel trick the contrast dye had on my intestines. My HSG appointment was roughly an hour from my house. As soon as I got out of my car I headed for the bathroom, but didn't fully make it before my intestines violently emptied. So luckily I was home alone and stripped down jumped in the shower, threw my undies in the garbage and bleached everything in sight. Not the best memory of baby making. So moral of the story is if you are cramping get to the potty quick.

I didn't go back to work that day, I could have if I'd really had too (after an hour to let my bowls settle), but I still felt kind of bowl gross, so I stayed home the rest of the day. I felt bloatly all day and night, but I feel fine today (the day after).

Good luck and I hope you don't need a shower after.

10 years ago

I had this test done along with every other possible test for infertility. It was uncomfortable afterwards. I took the 3 advil in the bathroom when I finished and should have taken it beforehand. I didnt feel any discomfort during procedure but once I stood up it was painful for a few hours. Nothing anyone cant handle

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo