Community post

Discussion

TTC after oophorectomy

I have researched some online and haven't found much information, so I'm interested in what others' experiences have been. In January DH and I found out we were pregnant with our second. Two weeks later, I miscarried. The next day I had an ultrasound to confirm the mc and they saw a cyst on my ovary the size of a cantaloupe. On a follow-up ultrasound it hadn't changed, so I had laparoscopic surgery to remove it. The cyst had gotten so big that it destroyed my ovary, so the surgeon removed my ovary and fallopian tube. She said my other ovary and uterus looked perfectly healthy and that I shouldn't have any trouble conceiving in the future. Has anyone had a similar experience? Has anyone TTC with one ovary? How long did it take? I have a post op appointment in a few weeks and I'll talk to my doctor about it, but hearing from others would be helpful.

User Image

5 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

Hello, I am going through a very similar situation. How long did it take for your period to start after your surgery? My dr said once that happened you should have no issue conceiving. My surgery was 4 weeks ago and still no period yet. He also said there should be no hormone issue. Since the other ovary should pick up the slack. But I agree not much online I have searched my heart out.

8 years ago

My period started about 4 days after surgery and then it has been clockwork every 27 days since then. I feel like I'm ovulating and bbt chart indicates that I am, but still ttc.

User Image

8 years ago • Post starter

I had my laparoscopic oophorectomy on Feb 22. A 7 cm dermoid cyst was removed along with my left ovary and fallopian tube. My period returned (post surgery) on Mar 14. And the period after that came on Apr 7. Both were heavy with clots for the first 3-4 days. Then my flow tapered off like normal.

DH and I have been TTC since Jan (pre surgery). I presume my remaining ovary/tube are working properly. I am concerned about my capabilities to ovulate and conceive naturally. Only time will tell for me.

My question is for the OP or alike. Any updates about your experience TTC after an unilateral oophorectomy?

8 years ago

Hi Redrocketwagon - I'm highjacking this post a little bit as I see it's old... I also had a large dermoid cyst removed that resulted in the loss of my right ovary and fallopian tube (in feb 2011). My husband and I started trying to conceive in Oct 2014 with no luck. I started charting then and found that I was ovulating monthly so my remaining ovary took over. I was on birth control prior to my surgery and stopped it when the cyst was found and stayed off of it until about 4 months after my surgery and I did get a period every month so my left ovary started doing it's job right away.... Fast forward to Mar 2016 we were referred to an RE who put hubby and I through all the bloodwork (day 3 & 7dpo and an HSG and SA for hubby) - my tube is clear (apparently there is a higher chance for a tube to be blocked after surgery in the area??? but that was the first I had heard that) Everything else was normal other than I have high FSH (10.9 and dr. said anything over 10 is too high) she did classify the fact that I only have one ovary and fallopian tube as our likely cause of infertility. She recommended clomid and IUI (to a max of 3 cycles) before we go to IVF. She can't be certain that the only having one ovary is the cause of my high FSH or if it's a secondary issue. We are in the TWW of our first clomid and IUI cycle... good luck! I hope you heal quickly and get your BFP :)

8 years ago

Hi, so an update: We were able to conceive again in August 2015. Unfortunately, we went in for our first ultrasound in October and had experienced a missed miscarriage. The baby stopped developing at about 7.5 weeks and did not have a heartbeat. I had a light period after the d&c and then another one right on time a month later (so my single ovary was doing well!). We got pregnant again after that second period. I was worried that maybe I had a hormone issue from only having the one ovary, but this little boy is 20 weeks, very healthy, and due in August!

User Image

8 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo