Community post

Discussion

BFP this morning!!! Question about 1st appointment

I am not sharing the positive results with anyone yet so this is a great place to be able to celebrate! This site has been really helpful with all my questions and concerns along the way. I was wondering if it's typical for the father to come to the first doctors appointment? I would like my husband to go (and so would he) but was wondering if that was the norm?

7 Replies • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

I have my dh come with me to all of my pregnancy appointments and it's actually nice since if he has questions or wants to know more about the pregnancy, that would be the place for him to learn and ask. From what I heard, a physician actually promotes the man be a part of the appointments and birth.

Hope I helped answer your question....

BTW CONGRATS!!!

11 years ago

Kim: There are no rules. He can come or not come. If he plans on being in the delivery room it would be nice for the OB to meet him though. With our second one my hubby was home a lot with our then 1 yr old and he finally got to meet her when she came out into the waiting room when I was 6 months along cause my son wouldn't stop yelling and had to stay out of the exam room =)

12/08 + 1/10 + 07/11, Had to do a lot of for baby #4. Yuck!!!! User Image

11 years ago

AWESOME! CONGRATS! No rules. If Dad wants to be involved in that, that is wonderful!

11 years ago

I like to make sure my hubby comes to the first appointment (6-8 wks) because that is when they do the vaginal ultrasound where you get to see your baby for the first time and confirm the heartbeat. You also go through some of the what you can and can't do which is helpful so he won't expect you to clean out a litter box or eat Subway until the baby arrives. So you may want to confirm that they will do the ultrasound at your first appt. If they just want you to come in for bloodwork prior to the 6-8 wk appt, I would say he could sit that one out.

Of course he also comes to the 20 week ultrasound appt and then the last few before delivery. All the others - he comes if his work schedule allows it.

11 years ago

Thank you for asking this question and thank you to those of you who answered as well!

My first appt is on Monday and my DH is out of town for work so he can't make it. Now I need to find out about the ultrasound bc I would hate if he misses the chance to hear a heartbeat :(

User Image

11 years ago

Hi Lush CV! How far along will you be at the first ultrasound? I was 8 weeks on the nose at our first ultrasound and we did get to hear the heartbeat. I have heard though, that if you are 6 weeks or less you probably can't hear one. Hearing that first heartbeat is quite momentous but there will be other opportunities for sure! I hope that helps!

11 years ago • Post starter

My husband always went with me :-)

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo