Community post

Discussion

calorie intake -overweight and pregnant

I'm getting frustrated trying to find the answer online. Everything says that if you are obese (I'm 30 BMI) that you should only gain 11-20 lbs during pregnancy. Then, on the same page where they have just said "regular BMI gain x, overweight gain y, obese gain x" they said "recommended calories are 2200-2900 gradually increasing to third trimester."

OK, if the recommended weight gain is different, shouldn't the calorie intake be different too? How can three body sizes consume the identical amount of calories and then gain different amounts?

So frustrated!

3 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

They say that you only need about 300 extra calories a day during pregnancy too, but that is also a very general statement as they don't know how many calories you are starting with.

I would not worry about the calories and focus more on just eating healthy food. I was borderline for gestational diabetes but was able to manage it by making good food choices.

If you wanted calorie number so that you could track - I would go with the 2200 and see how you feel. I can't remember how many pounds I gained when I carried my son, but I do know that I weighed less after I had him, then when I got pregnant.

Good luck - Happy and healthy nine months.

User Image

9 years ago

I'm currently 190 lbs (5'5"). I was as high as 205 in the summer and then made a concentrated effort to lose. While losing my diet was this:

Breakfast: 1/4 cup oatmeal with 1-2 tbsp frozen berries. Tea with 4 of the little creamers(10%).

Snack: Hard boiled egg

Lunch: either
(A) homemade turkey noodle vegetable soup (2 cups)
(B) homemade tomato/red pepper soup w/ chickpeas(for protein) - made with chicken broth (2 cups)
(B) Greek salad with homemade dressing and 1 oz feta (1 tsp oil and 2 tbsp vinegar)
(C) 5 oz baked salmon, 4" cucumber sliced

Snack: Babybel cheese (1)

Dinner: Varied greatly, hubby makes dinner. Usually a salad to start and then I took a portion appropriate amount.

I really have no idea where my "maintenance" calorie level would be. I'm also not feeling that hungry right now, should I be forcing myself to eat more?

Today I packed:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 3 tbsp berries
Snack: Egg
Lunch: 5 oz salmon, 3 carrots, an apple
Snack: Babybel and a yogurt
Dinner: Don't know what hubby is making

Should I just continue like this (adding a few extras - apple, yogurt, extra oatmeal) for a week and see how my weight does?

9 years ago • Post starter

I am overweight too, BMI around 31. During my pregnancy, my doctors only said to make good choices. No calorie counting needed. Usually, your body will know when you need more, so I wouldn't force myself to eat more.

Your calorie intake may be listed as the same as a normal weight person because usually, heavier women take in more calories to start with. If you maintain a normal intake of calories, it is actually less than you might have had before.

I ended my pregnancy weighing exactly the same as I started the pregnancy. Because of this, I weighed significantly less than where I started just a week after delivery. Here's to hoping my second pregnancy will be the same (once I'm able to conceive!).

I wouldn't put any stress on this at all. Make good choices and eat when you feel hungry. Your body provides all of the nutrients that your growing baby needs.

User Image

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo