Community post

Discussion

Threatened Miscarriage or Breakthrough Bleeding?

Hi all

Got a bit of bleeding - more like very light intermittent spotting, slightly brownish/pinkish early days - for about 3-4 days. About the time my period was due - AF never appeared so I guess this was implantation bleeding. GP didn't seem too concerned when I mentioned it.

I've now seen my midwife, and got an appointment for my first (12 wk) scan in about 2 weeks time. Excited!!

I am a bit concerned though because about 1 1/2 weeks ago, I got up for the loo in the middle of the night and noticed a small amount of blood. Naturally I panicked. It was like cm consistency but dark red/brown in colour. It was like my period was starting/just ended. I went back to bed - worried - but I didn't have any pain. Later that day, or it may have been the next day - the same thing happened but less of it. Then that was it. Nothing more.

I still feel sick etc, have the usual up and down moments I (mentally and physically!) but no pain - apart from indigestion which I seem to be getting more of!

As this (blood cm) happened after I saw the midwife, and only twice (I have had no pain or further bleeding of any description) I haven't done anything about it. I haven't heard back from the tests - she said I wouldn't hear if everything is okay (I will just get the results at the hospital).

I'm trying to relax! I was just going to mention this to the consultants at the hospital when I have my scan.

I have read that you often get "breakthrough" bleeding during the first trimester, around the time AF would have been due. Which fits in timing wise. But I am also concerned this might be a threatened miscarriage. I didn't think I had been overdoing it, but maybe I had.

As I say, I am trying not to freak out too much, if it was a miscarriage there's nothing I can do about it, so I will just mention it at my scan (unless something else happens).

In the meantime though, I wanted to share my experience and also ask if anyone else has had this? Did you continue to have a healthy pregnancy? This is my first time.

Thanks
Sarah

2 Replies • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

heyy..this is what happening to me now..i am at week 6 now..what happened with ur results?..i am so scared about this brown cm..

11 years ago

Hey :)

I feel for you; I really do. I ended up having a some tests - swabs, an internal exam, a blood test and then 24-48 hours later a scan at approximately 9 weeks. First of al they had to do a blood test to see if they could detect the pregnancy hormone and this had to be above a certain level. If it was not there, I had lost the baby. If it was, and below a certain level, they would have to retest as in a normal pregnancy this should increase. Thankfully my levels were high enough for a scan. Also with the internal exam they said that they could see "old" blood and that the cervix was closed - which was a good sign - but would have to bloods/scan to check for heartbeat etc.

The spotting continued intermittently (around about the time my periods would have been due) until I was about 14 weeks as the spotting continued on and off...thankfully all was ok and the hospital explained why it was happening I am now 31 weeks and all is well :)

I don't want to frigthen you anymore; but apparently, it CAN be a sign of impending miscarriage -so get it checked out...BUT light intermittent spotting is also normal (so I was told) in 50% of all pregnancies. Something about the lining not being set or something (I can't remember exactly) and a bit of old blood breaking through. This, by the way, is not the initial implantation bleeding as I understand it.

It seems that a lot of people don't realise this (medical professionals included). I certainly didn't.

I was told that it should stop by about week 15 and if not to let them know and they would do more tests. Some women bleed throught their whole pregnancy and go on to have a healthy baby (thankfully as I say with me it did stop).

If you don't get a heavy bleed it is probably just this breakthrough thing.

I hope this reassures you but PLEASE get it checked out to be certain.

I hope this helps you, and anyone else in the same position. Good luck and remember to come back and let us know how you get on! xx

11 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo