Community post

Discussion

When to tell family and friends

Would love some advice on when to tell family and when to tell friends we're expecting. When we first found out, I told my best friend, and my husband told his because we were on vacation staying at his house and me not drinking the rest of the trip would've been tough to explain. But so far that's the only people we have told. I am 5 weeks 6 days today and am going to the doctor on Friday. Doubt I will have an u/s, maybe blood work. I am hesitant to tell because my first pregnancy ended in ectopic and everyone knew and for me it made it harder after. However, we have a difficult situation with dh's parents because about a week before our bfp we found out we're moving out of state, and we currently live in the same town as his parents. We were planning on keeping the move on the down low until it was more certain, but now we can't tell them we're pregnant than a month later tell them we're moving. I just want to be excited and share that with everyone, and I know the news with dh's parents is not going to be happy once they hear we're pregnant and moving.

When did you tell family you were expecting?

Lindsay

4 Replies • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

It really depends on what is right for you and your situation. Many people wait till first trimester is over and some announce when they get their BFP..even before they go to the doctor. I've had plenty of friends do both, and a handful announce at 5-7weeks. Some might consider it early some don't mind. I just announced mine and I am 6w3d. Yeah a lot of people consider that early but I felts its ok for me to do so. With your history its understandable for you to be afraid and want to wait so its ok if you do it later on :)

Baby Isabel Grace is due to grace us with her presence on April 16, 2013!  BabyFruit Ticker  BabyFetus Ticker

11 years ago

I would say tell anyone who you don't mind knowing IF something bad were to happen.

If you don't want them to know about a possible m/c or problem then wait until the end of the first trimester.

In November when I got my BFP I told my sister right away and then we told our in-laws, but before I got the chance to tell my parents I'd already had a m/c. I ended up having to tell my parents about it but it was kind of sad to have to tell my mom that I *was* pregnant but not anymore. (I considered not telling her at all).

I had already told one coworker too.

In the future, I'll probably tell my sister and parents/in-laws pretty early on, but no one else until at the very least after my first ultrasound - or more likely after the first trimester. I just don't want to have people asking/knowing about another m/c.

BFP 11/2011; missed m/c 12/2012; D&C 1/2012. Surgery to remove fibroids 4/2012. Trying again 7/2012~ --------- I'm on a quest to live life as if every day were vacation. Follow my journey at http://summerandsundays.com

11 years ago

It really does depend on you and your situation. I told DH I wanted to wait and tell our families at Thankgiving because everyone would be together and we would be well past our 1st Trimester, but it didn't quite go like that. We both were so excited that we've told both of our families and a few friends already LOL. Just do what you feel is right for you and your hubby:-)

11 years ago

I'm 5 weeks 2 days and I just told my family last night. My mom had been hounding me because she knew my cycle was nearing an end and kept asking me if I had started my period yet, so it was hard to keep it under wraps. But then once I told her I wound up telling my close group of girlfriends, like I opened a floodgate or something. =)

Husband is freaking out that so many people know and the news is spreading like wildfire, even though we asked them to keep it on the DL. He's also dreading telling his family, which we will probably do in about two weeks the next time we see them in person.

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo